Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 18, 2019

Harmony


I was thinking this morning that one of the reasons that I have come to enjoy Southern Gospel music since our move to the south in 2014, is due to the beautiful harmonies by many of the groups.  I am not sure what it is, but something in me just goes “ahhhh” when a majestic harmony is perfectly executed by a musical ensemble.  It is just a very moving experience for me. 

For as long as I can remember, I have always been drawn into the melodies and sort of mystic of music.  I must get that from my mother as my Dad couldn’t hold a tune in a bucket… but he didn’t let that stop him from singing at church or even in jest when my Mom played the piano at home when I was young!

But it wasn’t until Piper and I started singing together that I began to gain a greater understanding and love for beautiful harmony.  When we would practice for a special that we had been asked to sing at church, she would stop in different places and say… “try singing it this way” and then demonstrate a great sounding harmony that blended in perfectly with the notes she was singing and playing.  Many times, she would point out the notes on the music or write out the notes if not already written down, of the harmony that she was suggesting as she sang it to me.  She had a way of encouraging me to stretch the little bit of talent I had and make me sound good… so that I thought that I knew what I was doing!!!

At the end of Philippians 4:9 the Apostle Paul tells us that, “…God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.” (The Message)  As I read that verse this morning, I paused for a moment in contemplation thinking that since Piper’s homegoing, my life has definitely felt like it has been “off-key” or “out of harmony” from the way it used to be.  And to be honest… it doesn’t feel real good… kinda like after Piper sang a harmony for me and then I’d try it with her singing the melody… and be slightly flat!  Uhhhhhh!  It tends to leave one with a sour taste in their stomach… and a slight irritation in their ear!

But then, just like Piper, who would be very gracious and complement me anyway, saying “that was good, you almost got it.  Listen to me and then sing it again with me,” I believe that God is working His patience and graciousness with me while I flounder around a bit, until I get my life back in harmony with His current picture for my life.

I’ve also realized that many of the actions that I have been taking lately, have simply been out of habit from my Christian training and the lifestyle of faith that Piper and I lived… but now, without much feeling or understanding.  In many respects, I’m just doing what I know to do… the things that I have heard, learned and practiced over the previous 49 years of my Christian walk.  But maybe that’s not a bad thing?

Previous to Paul’s talk of being in God’s “most excellent harmonies” he tells how to achieve that goal by explaining that the first action one has to take is to, “Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized…” and after that, “God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.”

So… while I may not have a lot of feeling and/or understanding of everything that’s currently going on around me… I am assured that if I keep doing what I am doing… that eventually my life will get back in sync… or flow into a new synchronization that produces “His most excellent harmonies” once again in me!

And those harmonies are beginning to form even today as I did my final walk through on our new house and close tomorrow!  I really sense that this home will prove to play a foundational role in my new life out here!  If anything, it is causing an excitement in me that I haven’t felt for a few years now!  I went to the Lowes near the new house yesterday and looked at carpet samples, paint and other supplies for many of the ideas that have been percolating in me for a few weeks.  I felt like a kid in a candy store.  I wasn’t sure if I’d ever feel that way again…

How about you?  Are you possibly in a dry place?  My advice… is to do what Paul said and do what he has taught us in our Bibles… whether you feel like it’s doing any good or not!  From my experience, you don’t have to feel it but just know that God is working behind the scenes… doing something deep inside that will one day show forth for you!

Have a great week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting God’s Word to work for me as I work it in my life!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.