Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, November 1, 2019

New Lands - New Life!


I had the pleasure of going to the booming metropolis of Choctaw, Oklahoma (population of about 13,000) yesterday morning.  It’s around an hour and a half from Broken Arrow near Oklahoma City.  The trip had a two-fold purpose.  First, I was accompanying my son-in-law on a job as he replaced and recalibrated a camera for a new client’s Golf Simulation system.  And secondly, on completion of the job, we planned to visit my second son at the pharmacy where he works in Oklahoma City.  I hadn’t seen Jeremy since July, plus I was looking forward to seeing some of the sights and sounds of Oklahoma’s State capital.

Along with a gorgeous countryside filled with old farm houses and fields occupied by various horses, cattle and pigs, we passed some pretty fancy looking homes set on hills in the distance.  Jeremiah’s client must have been a professional golfer at one time as the walls in his office were filled with photos of him at different PGA tournaments through the years.  There were also many trophies on the shelves around his combination office, man-cave, golf simulation play area and garage located in the back of the Real Estate office he most likely owned!

We caught my son on the back side of his lunch hour and shared some coffee and great conversation with him.  We also talked a lot about Holiday visits and a potential family camping adventure in the near future!  Afterwards we went on the hunt for some lunch for Jeremiah and I.  Knowing that I wasn’t a great fan of Mexican food, he jokingly suggested a great little Mexican cantina nearby that he had eaten at before.  And to his surprise, I replied that “this was the new me… let’s go!”

Those of you who have known me for awhile would know that I never really enjoyed Mexican food.  I am not sure if its because of the fantastically delicious Italian food that my Mom always cooked for us or what… but I just never developed a likable taste for the south of the border cuisine… which to my dismay… was a favorite of my lovely wife’s!  We found our happy place of compromise at a Chili’s restaurant in the town just south of our home town.  She could indulge herself with their Mexican style entrees and I could get a nice steak!  This place was also a favorite of ours as they were always crowded and did not take reservations.  So… we’d sign in, get one of the fancy little black discs with red lights that would blink when our table opened up and go out and sit on their large covered porch, hold hands and act like teenagers again!

In talking about water baptism, the Apostle Paul declares, “when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace—a new life in a new land! That's what baptism into the life of Jesus means.” (Romans 6:3 The Message)  The act of water baptism holds a very special significance to me.  I’ve actually been baptized three times!

Once as an infant having grown up as an active participant in the Catholic Church.  Once at the Baptist church we served in as Youth Ministers soon after we were married and then about twenty years later at the last church where we served as Assistant Pastors.  The Pastor’s sermon preceding a planned baptismal service later that day, opened up my understanding of the true meaning of the reasons for baptism.  I remember that my wife and I looked at each other as he spoke that morning (being one of the few times we were actually IN the adult service as we were usually ministering to the children or youth on Sunday mornings) and knew that we wanted to do it again… this time with the full revelation of its true purpose and the freedom it brings.

I’ve kind of felt like I’ve been slowly coming up out of the water of a baptism of sorts over this last year with the passing of my beloved wife.  Little by little, day by day, I sense myself stepping out of the water of my past and entering into a new country of grace, as our scripture verse describes… “into a new life in a new land!”  It’s definitely a slow and at times, a very painful process… but one that is, I am glad to report, moving forward… one short step at a time!

I prayed this morning at the beginning of my quiet time, that the Lord would show me what to do today, and to help me enjoy myself doing it… which hasn’t always been very easy over the last year!  But hey… a breakout day yesterday with a couple of taco’s… which weren’t all that bad, hopefully getting a positive report on the closing of our new home out here, a men’s fellowship breakfast tomorrow, church on Sunday… and who knows what else lies ahead!  It most definitely hasn’t been an easy road to walk… but I’ve never been one to give up!  And even though I have never walked this particular road before… I am planning to please the Lord, to let go of me and take a greater hold of Him.

What do you think?  Are there similar places that you’re traveling in your life?  If so, just remember that you don’t have to walk them alone!  One of my favorite scriptures that I am hanging onto for dear life is found in Joshua 1:5, where the good Lord assuredly tells Joshua (who is also walking a path he’s never taken before…) “I will never neglect you or abandon you.” (God’s Word ©) I suggest that you take that verse to heart!

Have a terrific weekend, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to know that I am NOT ALONE as I walk new paths… with HIM… today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.