Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 4, 2019

Following Peace...


I received a call from our youngest daughter on Saturday afternoon inviting me to accompany her and our granddaughter for a hike through the Ray Harral Nature Park just a mile or so from my apartment.  I jumped at the opportunity, tightened up the laces on my hiking shoes and eagerly awaited her arrival.  But a little history might be in order here…

During our initial stay here in Oklahoma, we received an unexpected phone call from the rental management company.  This happened during the Christmas break in 2007.  They informed us that the owner was moving to Oklahoma early in the New Year and that we would need to find another residence.  It wasn’t the best timing for us for it turned out that her move would coincide with my second quarter finals that year.  We had to act fairly quickly and finally found a duplex not too far away from where were living at the time.

After the move, Piper and our daughter and I continued our tradition of regular walks around the neighborhood.  During one of those walks we discovered a wonderful nature reserve hidden away in the midst of a few neighborhoods.  The Ray Harral Nature Park became a haven for us in the midst of everything that was going on in our lives with school, Piper’s unfolding medical situation, work and just about everything else!  It got to the point during the last year, that Piper and I went there just about every day!  Once inside the park, the tall trees, flowers, creeks, little critters and twisting trails totally separated us from the rest of the world!  It was a little bit of heaven in the midst of the shaking that was going on in our personal world!

So… I was a little excited and at the same time, filled with sorrow at the prospect of hiking the familiar trails that Piper and I walked, hand in hand, having serious discussions, praying, laughing, dreaming and wondering what our changing future held.  But as it turned out… We had a wonderful time.  The weather was in the mid-sixties, the conversation with JoAnna and Sarah was great and the trail we took was stunning! 

Sure, I had to fight back a few tears, but I loved every moment of it and look forward to many more hikes there.  I especially enjoyed re-experiencing the park through the eyes and innocent wonder of our granddaughter!  Saturday’s adventure left me with a strong sense of peace as I re-kindled past memories and looked forward to the new memories to be made ahead.

Colossians 3:15 in The Good News Bible declares: “The peace that Christ gives is to guide you in the decisions you make; for it is to this peace that God has called you together in the one body. And be thankful.”  The word translated “guide” here or “rule” in the King James version literally means “to act as an umpire.” (Thayer’s Greek Definitions)  I like that thought and over the years of my Christian walk, have come to depend on that inner peace when making many of the major decisions in my life.  Piper was a big proponent of following that peace and that is another legacy of hers that I plan to continue!

Right now, my life seems to be in a continual flux of new and at times, big decisions that need to be made.  But the Lord reminded me yesterday as I drove out to northeast Broken Arrow to check out a few other houses, to not be anxious but simply let His peace be my guide… to let His peace be the umpire in all the decisions that present themselves before me. 

And you know?  When I heard that advice through that small-still voice on the inside of me, everything seemed to fall into place.  I instantly felt a change in me… right then and there as I drove my Equinox down South 193rd East Avenue.  What was it?  It was His peace and His rest that flooded my soul and calmed my frustrations!  Suddenly I just knew what to do on a couple of different matters that I had been wrestling with.  Isn’t God Good!

Have you learned to depend on His peace as the umpire of your heart?  Are you in the midst of making major or even minor decisions?  Well then, I suggest that you turn them over to Him in prayer and then allow His peace to guide you.  Believe me… it will save you a lot of personal frustration and anxiety!

Have a great new week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting the PEACE of God to act as the umpire in my life today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.