Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 23, 2019

Uniquely Qualified


Did you feel it?  When you stepped outside this morning, did you feel that tint of crispness in the air that comes with the arrival of fall?  I sure did!  I noticed it as soon as Fiver and I stepped out from the covered breezeway of our apartment building a little after 7:00 AM, when we went out for his morning constitutional!  Then, an hour or so later, I basked in it while enjoying a cup of hot java while I read my Bible and took down notes of the thoughts that seemed to be barraging me from every direction!

I love it!  Fall has always signified CHANGE to me and especially so this year.  As is usual for me, many of those thoughts on the porch this morning centered around Piper.  At first, I was pondering the idea of how much she changed my life and the direction that I was heading.  But then pictures of my childhood flashed across my mind and I realized that she didn’t necessarily upend and change my life but rather was the perfect enhancement for what God was already doing in me!

It dawned on me that I had a pretty good childhood… as did she.  We both got to do a multitude of the things we enjoyed and explore and develop potential gifting's and talents that I believe God was fine-tuning as a part of His future plans for us.  When I look back at how our interpersonal relationship and leadership teamwork seemed to take off from almost day one, I realized that we were uniquely qualified for each other… as I also believe are most other Christian couples.

We both had the ability, inherent freedom and strong desire to dream and to dream big… and then run with them once we felt led of the Lord to do so!  I think this freedom to pursue when others might hold back was partially due to our pioneering spirits, but more importantly, because of our child-like faith in God and His Word coupled with our excitement about the potential of living the life that God in His Word says that His children can live.

But you know… my life isn’t yours and yours isn’t mine!  I firmly believe that God sets different and unique gifts, talents, leanings and qualifications into to each of us for the specific plans and purposes He has for us.  2 Corinthians 3:5 informs us that “By ourselves we are not qualified in any way to claim that we can do anything. Rather, God makes us qualified.” (God’s Word ©)  God has uniquely qualified you and me to fulfill the plan that He has designed purposely for each of us in this life… and when we follow and work that plan, it tends to work out the way that He intended it to!  (See: Ephesians 1:10-11)

As I looked back at Piper this morning and counted her many talents, abilities and heartfelt dreams, I saw that they became her passion to be a stay-at-home Mom who homeschooled our children, to be the best wife and Mom she could be as well as a minister of the Gospel in the churches that were the center of our social lives.  But through it all, I also realized that I had a large part to play in it... as she did in encouraging me in the gifting's, abilities, dreams and passions that God had put into me as well.  

Let’s face it here… not everyone could put up with me… and as much as I thought that Piper was the perfect women... not everyone would have been willing to encourage her intricacies as she pursued her life dreams and passions either!  I mean, some people within our own families didn’t see what we saw in each other or always support our goals!  That’s exactly why (and I am most certain that Piper would agree) God put Piper Canevari and Jim Berruto together!  

But like other thing that are worthwhile in this life… it took work!  We served under a Pastor for about six years who would always say that ministry is spelled W-O-R-K!  The same could be said for successfully accomplishing the dreams, passions and goals that God has set before us in our marriages.  One of the ways that spouses love each other is to support one another with regular encouragement as well as personal involvement within their gifts and talents, dreams and passions.  Speaking from personal example… it is not only profitable for one’s marriage and the attainment of your spouse’s personal goals and self-esteem, but it is also a lot of FUN!

And I like FUNhow about you?  There was hardly anything as special as seeing my wife break into a big smile when I encouraged or supported her in the activities that were important to her.  Do you get the same kind of comfort and joy with the interactions you have with your spouse? 

Have a great week as we begin this new fall season.  Give your spouse a hug, tell ‘em you love them and let them know that what they like to do is important to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.