Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 2, 2019

A Big Dramatic Ending


One of the things that I enjoy about my new church is the way they present the praise and worship music.  While it may be a little on the loud side… which is actually pretty unusual for me to be saying because I always have liked it hot… they are very good at following the anointing within the flow of the music… which brings me to an amusing story.


Many years ago, Piper and I were in our living room on a Saturday afternoon practicing the songs for the praise and worship part of the Sunday service at church that we would be leading.  As we neared the ending of the last song, I stop playing my guitar and motioned to Piper playing on the piano, to pause for a moment.  I then began to share my thoughts on the idea of building up the volume while slowing the tempo in order to provide for a more exuberant conclusion to the music service that, I felt, would more readily open the door to some open congregational worship before the preaching of the Word.


As I looked at my wife with a note of expectancy, she gave me that killer little grin of hers and started laughing.  I was a little perplexed at her reaction and my facial expression must have shown it.  She then said with a twinkle in her eye, in her best homeschool teacher tone, “you know Jim… we don’t always have to have a big dramatic ending every time we lead the music.”  Well, I don’t remember the rest of the conversation, although I do believe that we went with the transition that I had suggested and experienced the results the next day, that I now think the Lord was desiring!


I don’t know… but music done right always moves me and the music at our new church moves me, as it did yesterday morning.  During what was to become the last song, the band was coming to the crescendo of the piece and the anointing in the room was heavy upon us all when I suddenly had a picture of Piper’s last morning on this earth… which was one year ago today.


What I pictured was the attendants from the funeral home caring her across our front lawn to the waiting transport vehicle that was backed in on our long driveway.  The painful memory of that vivid scene caused my eyes to tear up and my knees to grow weak.  At that moment, all I could consider was the shock of the sight of her once beautiful but now totally devastated little body. 


But that picture was suddenly purged from my thoughts as I fully realized that the shell of my wife that they carried across the front of the house was nothing but an empty form as Piper wasn’t there anymore!  She’d left her body behind at around 5:30 that morning and entered into the land of endless light, peace and joy!


My tears and weakness miraculously changed into laughter, heartfelt joy and strength.  Ephesians 1:4 tells us that God “chose us through Christ to be holy and perfect in His presence,” while Psalm 16:11 reports that “Complete joy is in your presence. Pleasures are by your side forever.” (God’s Word ©)  When you combine the two verses you can’t help but rejoice for you discover that God promises us that HOLINESS, HAPPINESS and PERFECTION await us in the physical presence of the Lord… and you know… that is EXATLY where my lovely Piper is residing right now! WOW!  Hummmm… that’s worth repeating… “WOW!”


So yes, today marks Piper's one year passing from the constraints of earth to the total freedom and joys of heaven.  The Lord’s been clarifying to me over the last few days that my time of caring and protection of her is over.  She now has absolutely no need for my care… I mean, let’s face it.  There is nothing I could do that could ever top the care, protection and perfection that she has in heaven!  


So, I’m learning to let go and move on.  Let me tell you though, it is a lot easier said than done.  I mean… I loved and cared for her for 48 years and in fact… during the last eight years of her life… SHE WAS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE and FOCUS OF MY LIFE!


So, switching gears isn’t easy, but it is possible!  And so many positive things have happened in that regard over the last few months that my hope, expectation and confidence is expanding daily.  What’s ahead… well, I’m not too sure yet, but since my Bible tells me that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8 God’s Word ©), I’m rather excited to be a part of His plans for me and mine.


Have a great week, and as you do, say with me… “I am fully expecting God’s best for me today, tomorrow and forever!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.