Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

"I'm Working on It!"


I had a great conversation with one of Piper’s cousins who lives with her husband in the wide open setting of the beautiful Ruby Mountains in Nevada… In other words… They literally live in the middle of nowhere!  The countryside consists of large ranches that have been owned by individual families for generations.  Piper’s cousin has owned her property for over thirty years and is still seen as a relative newcomer to the area!  The closest town is many miles away and during the winter they experience months when they are totally snowed in.  She told me that last year was one of the worst in that they were not able to leave their property from mid-December until April of the following year.

Our conversations covered a variety of subjects beginning with how I was doing since the move to Oklahoma (we hadn’t talked since a month or so before I left North Carolina.), to their future plans and of course various stories concerning her cousin Piper!  It is very special for me to talk with her as it helps me to feel like I am still connected to Piper’s family.  

Besides Barbara and her sister, I have not physically spoken to anyone in Piper’s family since a week or so before she passed.  There have been a few text’s and some short replies to Facebook posts but, I don’t know… maybe its just my generation, but to me, nothing beats verbal communication... especially in the tough times of life.

Barbara had me in tearful laughter as she humorously related a “girl talk” conversation that she and Piper had when Piper was just starting her senior year in high school.  (Her cousin is a few years older than us and they always shared a special relationship together.  Barbara related that whenever she came into town or wanted to talk or had a need that she would call Piper.)  

So… during this particular conversation the subject of "boyfriends" came up and Barbara asked if Piper had anyone special in her life… to which she said Piper replied with a mischievous look on her face “I’m working on it!”  When she pressed her for more details, Barbara stated that Piper described her new “friend” as a “tall, dark and handsome Italian!”  I’d never heard this story before but it sure made me feel special and heart-broken at the same time!

While discussing some of the anxieties that she was feeling with their future plans of retirement from ranching, she mentioned how her sister had sent her a scripture poster that helped to encourage her each day.  With that I suddenly remembered the “Wonderful Words" cards that Piper had put together back in the early 1990’s that we actually sold in local Christian bookstores for a few years.  They were 5X7 laminated cards that contained about ten personalized scriptures on particular subjects that one could confess throughout the day.  Each subject was distinguished by a different card color.

I had recently come across two of the cards that Piper kept in her Bible and asked Barbara if I could send them to her.  She was excited about it so I packaged up the cards, one with general encouragment scriptures and the other stressing God’s love for us, and mailed them off on Monday.  I thought it was really special that Piper was still ministering to her cousin even though she does not reside on this earth anymore!

In 2 Timothy 4:2 the Apostle Paul tells us to: Be ready to spread the word whether or not the time is right. Point out errors, warn people, and encourage them. Be very patient when you teach.” (God’s Word ©)  Piper loved to share the light of the life that is contained in the Word of God to encourage people.  And that desire… that legacy… is still growing today!

I think… that whether she was talking about me or her desire to love others… that she would… and seemingly is continuing to say: “I’m working on it!”

What do you think about that?  Is there anything in particular that you're working on Have a great week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to keep working on sharing the Good News with others in need today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.