Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What's for Breakfast?


I was standing in the dining room this morning looking into the kitchen and living room and was thinking that it was kind of funny to see just how much one individual can influence your life.  Just about everyway I turned I saw things that had special meaning that only Piper and I would understand, items that we purchased to decorate our homes throughout the years and then, of course, all the things that actually belonged to her like her piano, her flute and piccolo, a special old-fashioned lamp that she always loved, and some beautiful framed wall hangings that were given to her by friends, family and former students.



This house is almost like a museum to Piper!  The minute I open my eyes in the morning I can sense her presence through all the memories posted here, there and everywhere around our home.  As I drove the forty-minute ride into Morrisville yesterday for a doctor’s appointment, I repeatedly found myself reaching out to her seat to grasp one of her hands that I am sure I held literally thousands of times over the years of our relationship!



While at the doctor’s we talked about the last few months of Piper’s life and how I had physically stretched myself to the limit in order to ensure that all of her needs were abundantly met.  I had promised her that I would always be there for her and fought to keep my word to her to the very end.  We also talked about her final hours and how perfect the conclusion of her life seemed to be.  I can only look back now in praise and thanksgiving unto the Lord for always being there for me so that I had the physical strength, emotional fortitude, mental acuity and faith in Him and His Word to carry me over and through the many years of that journey.



And now… well… I am slowly but surely seeing my dependency or as I am learning to call it, my satisfaction refocus from Piper and our love for each other onto the Lord and His love for me.  When I open my eyes in the morning I no longer automatically look over to my right to where Piper slept for many years to see how she is doing, but instead almost immediately begin to speak out the Word or sing a praise song softly to him, declaring:



“Good morning Lord!  I choose this morning to continue to let your love satisfy all of my needs.  This way I can celebrate and be glad for the times of this new season in my life.”                   Psalm 90:14 (CEV - personalized)





According to another new commentary I was reading this morning by Warren W. Wiersbe, Psalm 90 is the oldest Psalm in the book of Psalms and was written by Moses, possibly after Israel’s failure of faith at Kadesh Barnea (See: Numbers 13-14), when the nation was condemned to journey in the wilderness for forty years.  So, it could very well be that Moses was going through a really rough time in his life when he penned this work.  But as a type and shadow of the faith that Jesus would later provide for mankind after His finished work of the cross, Moses chose to not focus his attention on failure, disappointment or sorrow, but on his trust in the Lord’s love to carry him past the present pain and allow him to celebrate the joyful times ahead.



Sounds a lot like where I am in my current place in life doesn’t it?  It also might be similar to the place in life where many of you may be standing as well.  So, what do we do?  Well, like the example we find in Moses, we choose to move on from where we are now and focus in on what the Lord says about our upcoming future.  And where do we find that information (you knew I was going to ask that didn’t you… and you most likely already know what I am gonna say, right)?  Yep!  In His Word!



Dr. Wiersbe goes on to suggest that Psalm 90:14 was written in reference to the manna that came down from the heavens early every day, six days a week and met the physical needs of the Israelites.  He then states that “It is a picture of Jesus Christ, the bread of life.  The manna sustained life for the Jewish people for nearly forty years, but Jesus gives life to the whole world for all eternity.” (Be Exultant- Psalms 90-150- Warren W. Wiersbe, page 24)



I have stated on many occasions and continue to be totally convinced that it was our ever-increasing intake of God’s Word and the faith it continued to ignite in Piper and I that sustained and empowered us for every decision, every action, every ounce of strength and every fight we faced throughout our journey over the last 10+ years of our lives… just like Dr. Wiersbe said about Moses and the Children of Israel when they came face to face with the wilderness.  The King James Version of Psalm 90:14 asks of the Lord to “satisfy us early…”  To me that always meant first thing in the morning!  And that is when I love to get into the Word.  I am learning now, more than ever before, to allow His input to be the words of life that satisfy me before anything else each day!



What do you think?  I want that bread of sustaining life as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning… how about you?



Have a good rest of the week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to get a greeeeat breakfast of God’s Word first thing every day!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.