Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Live Long and Prosper!


My wife and I went out the other day and purchased a red geranium to replace the one that we had to leave behind in California.  That particular plant was one of many given to me by my Mom and was the most prolific plant we had in our patio!  In the late afternoon when the sun would peak over the roof top, the red flowers seemed to glow with an almost fluorescent sheen to them!
Our newest patio guest has a little ways to go before it reaches that same potential.  After checking out numerous stores we finally found one that even carried red geraniums… and the selection was not very promising!  This plant seemed to be calling out to me though, and I just had the feeling that we could help it along by nursing it back to vibrant health.
When we got home I dug around the plant, added some fresh potting soil, picked off all the brown leaves, and gave it a shot of Miracle Grow liquid plant food.  Then we prayed life over it and hung it on a hook from the top of our patio cover.  So now we have a compliment of four plants visually gracing our view outside from the living area of our apartment home.
The next morning as the dog and I stepped out on the patio with a cup of hot coffee (I had the coffee, not Mandie!) I think that the plant actually looked better already!  And now a few days later, even though it has been cloudy and raining for the last couple of days, the red petals of the flowers are starting to gain that fluorescent look!
As I read from Jeremiah 9:24 this morning I began to feel a little like that little geranium growing out on our patio.  In this verse the Lord is speaking to the Prophet explaining that “If they want to brag, they should brag that they understand and know me…”  (God’s Word ©)  The word “know” is the same word that is used in Genesis 4:1 when it is told to us that “Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived.” (KJV)  It describes a very intimate activity.  A sort of hands on experience you could say.
That was the type of hands on activity that I had with that struggling plant.  In order for it to “live long and prosper” (We’ve been watching some of the early Star Trek movies over the last few weeks!) I needed to intercede and spent some time getting my hands dirty!  That is how God sometimes operates with each of us!  At times He has to get personally involved with our lives.  According to Jeremiah, it is the intimate interactions with Him that give us something to brag about!
Notice also that I said interactions!  It is not just a onetime experience.  Our little plant is looking better, but it still has a ways to go… which means a lot more hands on, dirt under the fingernails involvement from me!  Which is exactly what we need to have with our heavenly Father on a regular basis!  You know… I actually miss having the opportunity to mow my lawn.  I have an almost four hundred dollar lawn mower sitting in my garage with absolutely nothing to do!  I enjoy being in the garden.  I like expending the energy, sweat and dirty hands (although I usually wear gloves…) that it takes to work a yard.  I guess it is just therapeutic for me!  And the rewards are fantastic!  There is nothing to me like sitting back at the end of the day and looking at the finished product of all my labors!  The green, healthy manicured lawn, beautifully shaped trees, abundance of color emanating from the flower beds, and the fruits of the vegetable garden sitting on the kitchen table.  All of this is a delight to me!
I think that it must be similar to the feeling that God has after we spend some hands on time with Him.  It is the intimate, one on one experiences that bring a lasting reward to the garden of our lives.  Hummm… I think I see a leaf starting to turn brown on our new plant.  I’d better go attend to its needs… and you can do the same with your life today!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.