Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, July 31, 2014

How Do You Do?


I was reading in Matthew chapter five this morning and as before, I was captivated by the little word “do” that seems to be only used in the King James Version.  Verse six declares "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (KJV) To me that one word is the key to the point of the statement that Jesus was making.  It is another one of those action verbs found throughout the bible that compels us to suck it up and step out and “do” something.
According to Dictionary.com it means, “to perform an act, duty or role, to execute, to accomplish, finish or complete and to put forth or exert.”  In my years of ministry I have seen countless good Christian people who say that they hunger and thirst for the things of God, but yet “do” nothing about it.  And you know… what the scripture predicts about them is evident as they are NOT satisfied in their relationship with God and with their life in general!
On the other hand, I have joyfully witnessed those who don’t necessarily talk about hungering and thirsting for the things of God but just “do” it and the blessings of God working for them and more importantly, coming through them to others is very evident.  These are the ones who are truly satisfied in both the spiritual as well the natural realm.
It shocked me as I experienced those who when push came to shove, didn’t “do” when the revelations of my wife’s health needs first became public.  I was totally taken by surprise when some whom I thought would immediately come up beside us and stand or “do” with us in our stand of faith, walked away as they put their faith in what the medical profession said as the only hope (or hopelessness in this case) for her future.  Then I felt the consequences as their fear gave way to critical and false accusations toward what I believed to be God’s directions and actions for us to “do!”
It is interesting to note that the British website entitled “The Phrase Finder” describes the origins of the phrase “How do you do?” as relating to how a person prospered or thrived.  It also mentioned how John Foxe’s work “The Book of Martyrs 1563-1587, recorded the first known citation of a version of ‘how do you do?’ as an inquiry after someone’s health.” 
Those who actually step up and out and actually “do” the action required to live a righteous life are the ones who will thrive and be satisfied in this life and the one beyond!   That one little word “do” goes hand in hand with the thought I mentioned in yesterday’s post about our “serving” the Lord by believing in and acting upon His Word.
So, let me ask you today… Do you “do?” or do you just talk about doing?  When you’re hungry don’t you normally get something to eat?  And when you’re thirsty won’t you grab a glass of water?  The same goes for seeking after God’s righteousness.  You and I have to “do” something in accordance to His Word in order to satisfy the hunger and thirst that our spirits are crying out for and in so “doing” open the door for God’s blessings to flow to and then from you!
So, what are you going to “do?”  I’d suggest that you take action and just “do” it!  Have a great day today.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or for Whom am I expecting to ‘DO’ today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.