Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Unselfishness...


It came to my attention this morning as I read from some of John the Baptist’s final words as recorded in the New Testament, that he was a very unselfish man!  Our story takes up in John chapter three.  At this point, Jesus has begun His earthly ministry in earnest and was baptizing people in the Judean countryside.  John had moved on to another area where the water was plentiful and continued the ministry that was given to him to fulfill.
Some confusion had arisen amongst some of the Jews and John’s remaining disciples, and his devotees went to him to resolve the issue.  They stated: “Rabbi, do you remember the man you spoke so favorably about when he was with you on the other side of the Jordan river?  Well, he’s baptizing and everyone is going to him!” (John 3:26 God’s Word ©)  This is where the true nature of John the Baptist came out when he simply answered from his heart and reminded them of what he had previously told them saying: “I’m not the Messiah, but I’ve been sent ahead of him.” (John 3:28 God’s Word ©)
Then he likened his position as to that of the Best Man in a wedding whose job is to assist the Groom and rejoice for him and his bride.  John proceeded to make a powerful statement that each of us should seriously take to heart.  He told his followers, “He must increase in importance, while I must decrease in importance.” (John 3:30 God’s Word ©)
John knew his place and his part in the Divine plan of God.  More importantly, he knew and understood Jesus’ place and gladly yielded his position to Jesus as His ministry began to take precedence in the land.  Later on, John explained that Jesus had better connections and more information than anyone else and that while most people were not accepting what He said, that he did and affirmed that God’s word is true! (see: John 3:31-36)   All of John’s actions were in full support of Jesus’ ministry.
When I was hired to be the Assistant Pastor by the original Pastor of the last church we served at, he made it clear to me that my job was to support and assist him and his ministry goals.  Even though I was over some of the adult support ministries in the church as well as over the children and youth ministries, everything I did supported his vision and direction for the church.  Did I always agree with him?  No!  But I always stood with him and supported him.  At times my allegiance to him alienated me from some in the church, but I understood my position and was fully committed to support him.
That is how I saw John the Baptist and his position when compared to Christ’s ministry.  I loved John’s practical example of the job of the Best Man at a wedding.  Having been the photographer at countless weddings, I came to appreciate the role that the Best Man played.  I would make a point to become friends with the Best Man.  I would explain some of his responsibilities to him and then have him help me to assemble the various people in the wedding party that we needed to photograph during the different phases of the wedding.  The Best Man was there to assist the Groom and his bride and the guests normally understood that and listen to him when he helped to direct activities at the celebration.
John the Baptist was confident in who he was and what part he had to play in God’s master plan. When his part of the plan was completed he humbly yielded his position to Jesus and quietly left the scene.  That is something that each of us should aspire to. 
I always admired the ministry of Lester Sumrall who was a great man of God who simply followed the leading of the Holy Spirit and moved with Him into whatever new areas of ministry he was directed to go.  When his work with a successful ministry that he was leading was completed, he gracefully let go and allowed the Holy Spirit to lead him into the next job that God had for him.  He pursued this course of action even when other Christian leaders told him that he was too old to begin another ministry.  Sumrall who has been called the “father of Christian television” went on to be with the Lord in 1996 and left a strong legacy and a thriving ministry in the hands of his sons and family.*
John the Baptist was another seeker of the greater things of God.  He faithfully followed the leading of the Holy Spirit and left a legacy that fully supported and pointed to the Lord Jesus Christ.  That’s what I would like to be said about me… how about you?  Have a wonderful day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”
 

*For more information see: http://www.lesea.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.