Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 17, 2014

Sealed!


Over the past four years I have received a lot of advice from people concerning the situation around my wife’s health.  Some of it has been good, some of it not so good!  Much of it is based on other people’s personal experiences that to be honest, does not always mesh with our life!  In the midst of my personal pain, I have been openly criticized and blamed for my wife’s condition, and have had some that I thought we could trust and depend on, turn away from us in our time of need.
Now I am not trying to feel sorry for myself here!  I will admit that I have had some very difficult times dealing with and coming to terms with these unexpected negative reactions, but through it all I have learned of and have come to trust entirely in the unshakable and unquestionable love of God as the firm foundation and good ground wherewith we have sunk our roots. (See: Ephesians 3:17)
There have been many occasions over these last few years where I have sat alone* at the bottom of our staircase in the dark of night and have reached deep inside to grab hold of that to which I have committed unto Him.  At these times it is only that trust and/or faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the truth of His Word that has given me the unyielding expectation that His Word will prevail – NO MATTER WHAT (or who) MAY COME AGAINST US!  
As I read from John 3:33-36 earlier today, I had to nod in agreement as I could see this as the explanation to what I have been learning and experiencing through the journey my wife and I have been on.  Verse 33 tells us that “He that hath received his (Jesus’) testimony hath set his seal that God is true.” (KJV)  Vincent’s Word Studies explains that the meaning of the term “seal” in this usage describes how one “has solemnly attested and confirmed the statement that ‘God’s word is true’”
As I dug a little deeper into the definition, I also discovered that elsewhere in the Bible this same word is used for the “closing up for security, hiding or the marking of a person or thing.” (VWS)  Thayer’s pointedly says that it means “to seal for security from Satan.”
What I have personally learned is that without that truth sealed away deep within my heart, I never would have made it!  As my mind exploded this morning with thoughts and examples of something sealed deep inside your heart, I suddenly thought about the wooden plaque that Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States, had on his desk.  It simply stated that “The buck stops here!”  That term became a favorite of his throughout his presidency as he used it as the explanation for many of the difficult decisions he had to make such as dropping the Atom Bomb on Japan during the waning days of WWII.
Sealing the unyielding understanding that the Word of God is true and is the final word on every subject is the place within us where the “buck stops!”  When your world seems to be going haywire, when things look impossible, when those you thought you could trust and depend on turn away from you, the only thing left is to reach deep inside and grab firmly ahold of that which you have sealed in your heart.  When all else fails… HE WON”T!
When push comes to shove, the buck will stop with what you have sealed in your heart!  For some it is fear and they will go from bad to worse, but for those of us who like the Apostle spoke of in John 3:33, the light of His Word will shine brightly and overcome any darkness that may be trying to prevail in our lives!  I may have spent many times sitting at the bottom of our stair case in the dark… but I have ALWAYS arisen with a smile on my lips and a strengthened resolve inside that has enabled me to go on with the expectation of seeing God’s best for my wife and I in the days to come!
Have a great weekend!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today!”  (You also might want to ask WHY you’re expecting those good things!)
  

*Well, not quite alone… Our faithful Australian Shepherd seems to have a sixth sense during those lonely periods as she magically appears and lies quietly at my feet as I converse with the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.