Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 24, 2014

Be Prepared!


I came across another translation of 2 Corinthians 10:3 that got me to laughing this morning!  I am not sure why, but as I read from Weymouth’s 1912 version of the New Testament, I took it as almost a sarcastic statement!  It was like I was picturing a standup comedian raising his eyebrows and making a comment saying: “For though we are still living in the world, it is NO worldly warfare that we are waging.”
And with that I immediately thought about a sermon I heard on Wednesday evening where the Pastor was explaining King Nebuchadnezzar’s reaction to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego’s stand of faith when they refused to follow the King's command to fall down and worship his statue… like everyone else did.  What they did was certainly NOT the way he expected them to respond when he threatened them with a painful death in a fiery furnace.
The story goes on to say that the king went completely ballistic at their stand of faith and made some quick decisions without considering the consequences.  He commanded that the furnace be heated up seven times hotter than normal and then directed his strongest soldiers to tie up the three Hebrew men and toss them into it.  What he didn’t foresee is that the extra heat would instantly kill off some of the best men under his command.  This is a perfect example of the “loose cannon” that we talked about earlier in the week!  His lack of control caused destruction within his own forces.  The interesting part is that it DIDN’T harm the young men who had NOT responded according to the world, but according to the standards dictated by their faith in God.  He did not like it when the Hebrew’s didn’t agree with him.  In fact it probably frightened him because it was so different than what was expected!  He thought it was a good idea and when they did something contrary to what he thought was right he got down right angry!
Verses 24 and 25 then record the king’s reaction when he calms down enough to notice what happened to the Hebrews.  In today’s lingo you would say that he “FREAKED OUT!”  It says that “Suddenly, the king jumped up and shouted, ‘Weren’t only three men tied up and thrown into the fire?’”… but, but, “but I see four men walking around in the fire,” and “none of them is tied up or harmed, and the fourth one looks like a God!’”  (Contemporary English Version) 
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego’s response certainly got the king’s attention!  But while this story has a good ending, the same cannot always be said for the reactions of those around us when we don’t act like everyone may expect us to.  Don’t get me wrong… down the line, eventually, the Lord will bless and honor you because of your stand of faith, but it may not always be through the ones who stood against you!
A good motto for us to follow would be that of the Boy Scouts of America who are taught to always “Be Prepared!”  In your daily Christian walk, it is a good idea to always “Be Prepared” to not have the people around you always respond favorably to the Godly standards that you have chosen to follow.  In my case a few years ago, I WAS NOT prepared for the barrage that came against me and it shook me to the core!
Romans 8:5 says in S. Way’s “The Letters of St Paul to Seven Churches and three Friends with the Letter to the Hebrews” that “Men whom the animal nature sways have animal tendencies: men whom the spiritual nature sways have spiritual tendencies.”  I have painfully found this to not only be true in those who are not Born Again, but also in Christians who have not yet yielded certain areas of their lives over to the Lord.  The God’s Word translation calls it our “attitude” whether it is led by our worldly desires or spiritual insights.
I have come to learn that as I am aware of the possibility of these negative reactions while following what I believe are the leadings of the Spirit for my wife and I, that I am able to respond more lovingly, more patiently and more understandably when they are repeated.  I also believe that it has strengthened my faith and my resolve to have my attitude guided by the faithful wisdom of my heavenly Father!
What do you think about that?  Are you lovingly and patiently prepared to take a barrage of negative words and actions when you step out with God?  If not, then I suggest that you get into the Word so much so that you come to the place where NOTHING will sway you from what it says about your situation!  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.