Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Doing The Right Thing!

Yesterday afternoon I was talking on the phone to an older friend.  I had done a lot of work for this lady at her home before we went to Oklahoma and then again after we returned and I had quit my position at The Home Depot.  She was one of the few people that supported, counseled and encouraged me in those hard days when Piper was first diagnosed and we began to fully understand the drastic changes that were unfolding in her health.  As we talked, she began to tell about how amazed she was at the way I hung in there with my consistent care and positive attitude concerning my lovely wife.

When she inquired as to how I do it, I simply told her without any hesitation, that it is because I keep my eyes focused on the truth of God’s Word and NOT on what I see!  With that she commented that she couldn’t do it and doesn’t possess that kind of faith. (This coming from a women that single-handedly took care of her sick and dying husband for years before he passed away in their home about ten years ago.  That’s why I began to work for her as her home on 2 acres had been neglected during that time as she was so focused on her husband’s care!)
As we talked about it, I let her know that I work on keeping that focus strong each day.  I shared a little bit of our regular schedule in the Word beginning with my daily quiet time for an hour or so each morning before I get my wife up and then the way I read to my wife from various books on healing and recite healing scriptures at specific times throughout the day, up until the time she goes to sleep at night.  It is just part of our regular daily activities that we have made to be a high priority.
As I read from Philippians 4:8 this morning, the Lord confirmed that we were doing the right thing in keeping our attention on the Word.  It says, “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (KJV)
What was especially encouraging to me was what I noticed when I looked up some of the original Greek words mentioned in this verse.  In particular I learned that “if there be any virtue” is actually talking about doing the right thing, that which is constituted as “manliness, bravery or strength of mind in regard to danger.” (Strong’s)  In other words, real strength of character is demonstrated by keeping focused on and trusting in God’s Word!
According to God’s definition then, it takes a real man or a real women to make it important enough to spend regular times in the Word in order to stay on top of the daily situations that we face!  Deuteronomy 28:13 tells us that we will be “the head, and not the tail” as we “observe and do” (KJV) what it says in the Word.  But in order to do this successfully it has to be so in you, that you do it automatically, and that comes only by staying in and focused on His Word on a regular basis.
It is the only thing that has kept me going in the darkest of nights, when friends and family questioned my character (even to the point of implying that I was stupid!) and especially when I see a beautiful, talented, vivacious, loving, strong and confident women of God fighting the battle of her life!  So what will it be for youthe world or the Word?  For me the answer is simple: “but, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15 KJV)  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.