Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Many Good Things!

Over the many years in my positions in secular management as well as in Christian ministry, I have oftentimes heard, when talking to individuals, that a successful marriage takes a lot of WORK!  I also remember a Pastor that we served under in the late eighties who had a favorite saying that “Ministry is spelled W-O-R-K!” 

And while I understand that the majority of these folks meant for their statements to encourage commitment, mend wounds and rekindle excitement, they many times… if not the majority of times… seemed to come across with the feeling that it was hard, exacerbating and a boring and difficult part of the relationship or job that each individual involved would simply have to live with.

But as for me… well… those conversations usually elicited a smirk, followed by a smile on my face… which at times tended to irritate the people I was conversing with!  You see… when you’re talking about marriage and ministryyou’re talking about two of my FAVORITE things in life!  And I would reply that YES, it took WORK… but what FUN that work was!

In our last blog post, I quoted a verse of scripture in I Corinthians 2:9 where the Apostle Paul taught the church by declaring that:

“This is why the Scriptures say: Things never discovered or heard of before, things beyond our ability to imagine—these are the many things God has in store for all his lovers.”  (TPT)

And I put forth the question, in reference to his concluding statement that “these are the many things that God has in store for all His lovers,”

“Can it really be that Simple?”

Well… for me, the answer would be a quick, simple and unwavering YES!  Does that mean that it is easy to achieve?  NO!  As with any decision of great value, it takes much commitment, consistency, wisdom, courage and counsel.

The writer of Proverbs 15:22 wrote,

“Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.” (KJV) 

I mentioned a few of my favorite things above (and NO, I am not going to burst into a round of Julie Andrews singing about my favorite things ♫…).  Those favorites were my marriage to Piper and Ministry.  When I wanted to know more about Piper, like how she was doing at any given time, her dreams, ambitions, likes and dislikes, etc; I would go to her and talk directly to her.  Talking to each other was one thing that we did really well… and enjoyedso we did it a lot… every day in fact!

When I needed to know more in my ministry, I would go to my Bible and seek the various counsel of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul and the other writers of both the Old and New Testaments.  Depending on the need, I would also seek counsel from our Pastor, from other mature man and women of God that I respected, from books, conventions, and from other qualified sources. 

Simply put… I guess you could say that I liked to keep in the KNOW!  Both Piper and I wanted to stay ahead of the game and not fall backwards in our progression of life.  The Good News Bible tells us in this regard that,

“Wise people walk the road (or path) that leads upward to life, not the road that leads downward to death” (Proverbs 15:24)

If you’ve ever hiked up a mountain, you know that it takes a good amount of dedicated effort and W-O-R-K to get to the top!  One of my favorite all-times hikes is climbing the path up to the top of Eureka Peak within Plumas Eureka State Park in the Plumas National Forest in northeastern California. 

It is about a 2000 foot upward climb from the campground to the top.  And there is a spot about ¾ of the way when I always have to STOP and make the determination that I will push through my burning knees, as the path steepens, and successfully make it to the top… where the 360-degree gorgeous view is well worth the effort… and temporary discomfort to my joints!

So, YES!  It takes WORK… just like in my marriage and in my ministry call… but it is the kind of WORK that I enjoy.  And even though I know that parts of the plan and process are not going to be easy and maybe more than just a little bit uncomfortable… physically, spiritually, mentally and/or emotionally… I choose to take on an attitude of confidence with joy in the great EXPECTATIONS that it is well worth it… when it comes to accessing and enjoying “the many things God has in store for His lovers!”

NOW… Don’t YOU agree?

Have a terrific rest of your week, and as you do… Keep EXPECTING God’s BEST as you put out the effort to access and enjoy the “the many things God has in store for YOU!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.