Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, March 25, 2023

Big Redwoods - Big Blessings

As I stood in front of the mirror shaving this morning, I glanced over to my left and focused for a moment on the California Redwoods State Parks poster that I had purchased and framed many years ago while living in North Carolina.  I turned off my electric razor and scooted over in front of the poster and got lost in the good memories that tickled my heart.

The poster depicts a drawing of a pathway meandering through a beautiful grove of tall coastal redwoods with filtered sun rays shining through the canopy and a young couple standing together and enjoying the majesty of the view surrounding them.  And while I cannot tell the actual location of the drawing… I know that I have been there countless times as a child camping with my family and then later in life with my new bride as well as a few years after our honeymoon, with our four smiling, excited and wonder-filled family of little camping enthusiasts.

It could be any of the many Redwood Parks that we visited over the years, but in particular, it brought the strongest remembrances of the marked trail from the campgrounds to the camp store at Richardson Grove State Park, a few miles south of Garberville in northern California.

As I focused on the young couple in the background, I couldn’t help but to picture Piper and I on our honeymoon as we traversed the trail from our tent site in the Huckleberry campground to the camp store.  Our eyes gleamed with excitement of the adventure that laid ahead for us… not just for our future together… but for the treasures and keepsakes that we could discover at the store that would mark our first camping adventure as husband and wife.

The store had a plethora of handmade redwood burl items on display and I clearly remember proudly holding onto the hand of my precious bride as we Oohed and Aahed our way throughout the small store.  I know that we bought many different items that day, but the only one that I specifically remember… and the only one I still have… is a beautiful redwood burl chalice style candle holder that we proudly displayed in our living room throughout all the following years… including the current one where it graces Piper’s piano today!

Every time I glance at that distinctive work of art, I immediately think of the ever-increasing love that Piper and I shared together… and with that love as a physical example that is forever inscribed upon my heart, I think of and can’t help but to become thankful for the love that my Father God has for me and all of His children.

Lately that most powerful force of God’s love has been repeatedly expressed to me through various scriptures that I’m sure we are all very familiar with, beginning with a verse I shared in my last blog post* when Jesus compared Himself to that of the Good Shepherd and declared,

“I am the Gateway. To enter through me is to experience life, freedom, and satisfaction.  A thief (ie; the devil) has only one thing in mind—he wants to steal, slaughter, and destroy. But I have come to give you everything in abundance, more than you expect—life in its fullness until you overflow!” (TPT)

And then there is Ephesians 3:20 where Paul excitedly encourages us by teaching that God,

“is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power (of the Holy Spirit) that works in us.” (NKJV)

As I was pondering these verses and many more yesterday morning, I had the sudden inspirational thought that the abundance of God in the form of “the fulness until it overflows,” and the “exceedingly abundantly above” is actually the LOVE Nature of God in operation in and through our lives!  It’s just like the love that I had toward my wife.  I didn’t just want to be nice to her and give her nice things… my heart’s desire was always to go way overboard!

I’m reminded of the Super Walmart in Fuquay-Varina where we did our weekly grocery shopping in North Carolina.  The store was conveniently set up to where we had to walk past the women’s department in order to go from the parking lot entrance where I liked to park (that gave me the most room to maneuver Piper in and out of the car and into and out of her wheelchair) to the grocery section of the store.

Which… in my love for my wife… always caused me to keep an eye out for an article of clothing or an accessory that I could buy for her.  Which is funny now, because I have multiple, BRAND NEW coats, sweaters, hoodies and pants… neatly folded in a couple of wardrobe boxes that she NEVER even got to wear!   I guess you could say that my heart was bigger than my than my self-control!  And what’s even funnier to me… Is that I am still tempted to stop and go through the racks of women’s clothing and accessories at the Walmart where I now shop here in Oklahoma… even though she has been in heaven for over 4 years now!

But that’s because I want to be like my Father in heaven who loved you and me SO MUCH that the gospel of John records that,

“God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (EMTV)

God didn’t just GIVE… but He gave his BEST!  He gave His ONLY son to a world that didn’t even deserve His love!  That is how SPECIAL and OVER-THE-TOP that His love is for you and me.  He doesn’t just give with an abundant heart… but with a heart and attitude that OVERFLOWS with the kind of love that is EXCEEDINGLY ABUNDANTLY ABOVE ALL!

The more we enter into a close and loving relationship with Him, the more we will experience God’s intent for us… Which is that He not only wants to bless those whom He loves… But to do so with an overflowing abundance that comes in,

“good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over…” (Luke 6:38-KJV)

And then with that example ever before us… He wants us to do the same!

Like you… I want to shower those I love with blessings… Just like my heavenly Dad does toward you and me!

Have a terrific weekend, and as you do… Keep EXPECTING God’s abundant BEST… and then likewise… give of your BEST to someone you love!

 

 

*http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2023/03/i-have-to-allow-it.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.