Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 5, 2021

Covenant

I’ve found it kind of interesting that I have been thinking a lot about covenants… and to be more precise… Blood Covenants… over the entirety of this Fourth of July weekend…

Yesterday morning at church, I was reminded during the serving of communion, of the covenant that Jesus Christ made with us through the shedding of His blood for the forgiveness of our sins and the subsequent ability for us, once again, to have a way to enter into a new and everlasting covenant with our Father God.

Then as I looked at pictures of Piper throughout the house and at the golden band that I still wear on my left hand, I am continually reminded of the covenant that we entered into on a sunny July afternoon in 1975 and consummated later that evening at the Sea Ranch lodge within the breath-taking, panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean.

And then last night as I watched the spectacular display of fireworks over our nation’s capital, I couldn’t help but think about the 56 men who signed our American Declaration of Independence back in 1776, with the full understanding that they were basically signing this covenant with their very own blood.  That if the war with Britain was lost… that they most assuredly would be among the first to be executed for treason against the Empire.

As a Christian, I have pretty much spent my entire adult life serving the Lord in ministry, seeking to live according to the standards of the Bible, and although I know that I have not always succeeded… to be a good example of Christ’s love, His grace, His joy and at times… to be used as a vessel through which His power has come forth to minister to those in need.

Hebrews 12:24-25 speaks of the Blood Covenant that Jesus made with us stating,

“And we have come to Jesus who established a new covenant with his blood sprinkled upon the mercy seat; blood that continues to speak from heaven, ‘forgiveness,’ a better message than Abel’s blood that cries from the earth, ‘justice.’  Make very sure that you never refuse to listen to God when he speaks…!” (The Passion Translation)

I’ve heard it preached that the Blood Covenant is the strongest covenant ever known to man.  In Biblical times it was a well-known and practiced ritual that people adhered to… all the way to the point of death.  Most translations of the Bible actually refer to the titles of what we today refer to as the Old Testament and the New Testament, more accurately as the Old Covenant and the New Covenant and directly reference the titles to the Blood Covenants that were initiated and active in the times when each was written.

We in the Western parts of the world tend to not understand the full impact, importance and sincerity of the Blood Covenant as it is not a part of our relatively modern history.  The entire basis of the Christian theology of the shedding of Christ’s blood for our salvation is completely formed on the reality of Christ’s sacrifice and the utmost importance that His blood… that was totally free from sin… was the only blood that could be sacrificed as justification for our sins.

I don’t think that I ever had a full comprehension of the importance and impact of the blood covenant between Jesus and me until Piper was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  It was my very personal realization of His intimate love for Piper and I… through what He did on Calvary… that empowered me to believe in Him and His Word without doubteven as my world seemed to be crumbling before my very eyes.

At that time, I can also attest to the fact that I didn’t fully appreciate my role as her husband and the importance of our marriage covenant, that was sealed with the issue of blood on our honeymoon night, until my commitment to her was challenged by some in her family. 

To say that I was taken by complete shock and surprise at these accusations would have been the understatement of the century!  When I first heard of this, I was awash with emotion (and I humbly admit) with anger and my very first and only response was, “What are they talking about?  I made a covenant with her… a blood covenant that I would NEVER, NEVER break!”  Then to add insult to injury, when I mentioned this to another family member and they just laughed it off… I was left shaking my head, totally amazed, disheartened, hurt and thinking that any and all trust was broken with their response.  To this day, it is still the only negative memory that upsets me…

I recently concurred with a comment I read in a blog named “Your Marriage Restored” where the author stated,

Covenant in Hebrew means a cut-where-blood-flows. The purpose of covenant was to create a binding agreement, more powerful than a contract or agreement. This was to be forever - the life span of the participants, it was to be holy, sacred, to violate the covenant would mean death. The blood covenant was the ultimate insurance of loyalty and fidelity. Marriage is the closest agreement to the blood covenant in modern society and, sadly, marriage is today closer to a contract than a covenant.”

And with the spectacular beauty and the patriotism that it inspired in me as I watched the fireworks last night, I can only stand in thanksgiving and honor in memory of those who sacrificed their blood… and their lives… so that we here in the USA can openly enjoy and participate in all the freedoms that are available to us as American Citizens.  There is no other country in the known world that offers those freedoms and liberties as our country does. 

But today my heart cries every time I look at the news and see how an ever-growing number of individuals are using those same liberties to encroach upon the freedoms of others with whom they may disagree.  With those who want to re-write our illustrious history with its trials and tribulations, lessons learned and ever-growing record of improvements in human rights… that cannot be matched by any other nation in the world.  And those who would even propose to change our language in order to better fit their agenda and confused beliefs… and thereby limit the great variety of expression, cultures, beliefs and lifestyles that have successfully co-existed, interacted and blended together for what’s getting to be near 250 years.

So yeah… I’ve been thinking a lot of the Blood Covenants that were made in my lifetime that have been a major part of the strong foundations on which you and I live our lives on a daily basis!  And as I consider all of that in the midst of America’s 245th Birthday I can only reiterate how proud I am to be an American and acknowledge the fact that I will always stand proudly when I see our flag flying, stop and put my hand on my heart when I hear the national anthem being sung and have tears come to my eyes whenever I hear “God Bless America” being sung!

Won’t you join me in these sentiments?  PTL!

I pray that you are having a wonderful time as our 245th 4th of July celebration winds down today… and as you do… remember the impact and hand that Christianity had on the founding of our country and… keep EXPECTING God’s best in your life today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.