Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

A Lingering Aroma

If you read my last post (Mangia - 7/19/21) then you’ll recall that I shared some of what the Bible describes as AROMA’s and SWEET FRAGRANCES.I likened the experiences of those olfactory senses to my Mom’s exquisite Italian culinary skills.  In the scripture verses we discussed, I also referenced the words, actions and lifestyle of my high school sweetheart and how she seemed be a living and breathing example of what the Apostle Paul was talking about when he penned, “To God we are the aroma of Christ among those who are saved and among those who are dying.”* 

Well… I received a surprise confirmation to my statements about my girlfriend’s and then wife’s Godly life in the form of a phone call from one of Piper’s cousins late last night.  She lives in California and didn’t quite realize the time difference, but it didn’t matter to me as she is always a joy to talk with.  Even though there is around an eight-year age difference between them, Piper and her older cousin were very close… and when I came along, I had the pleasure of becoming a part of the friendship that eventually included her cousins’ husband as well.

As it turned out, Piper became a spiritual mentor to them and much of their thankfulness to her came out in our conversation last evening.  There are many members of the clan on Piper’s Dad’s side of the family that I had heard stories told through the years, but yet never met them personally.  So, when Piper’s cousin regaled me last night, with many more stories of this, her side of the family… many that included Piper in her childhood, I felt like I already knew everybody and had a good laugh!

Similar to experiences that were related to me by past members of our various Children’s classes and Youth groups when Piper passed, I was blessed, proud and brought to tears with many of the personal conversations and words of wisdom from Piper that her cousin and her husband mentioned that I’d never heard about before.  Statements of the heart made over the many years that still ring special in their life today.

2 Corinthians 2:14 in The Passion Translation states that,

“God always makes his grace visible in Christ, who includes us as partners of his endless triumph. Through our yielded lives he spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere we go.” 

Piper was one of those special individuals whose yielded life spread the FRAGRANCE of the knowledge of God everywhere she went.  But, different from the delicious AROMA of the sweet combined FRAGRANCES of tomatoes, garlic, sautéed onions, basil and the other special seasonings that combine to make a thick, delightfully exquisite marinara sauce that will dissipate over time, the wonderful, life-changing, life-giving, sweet FRAGRANCES of the knowledge of God introduced into a person’s life will… as Piper’s cousin and her husband affirmed, linger for years to come!

Piper, who’s most likely laughing and dancing in the golden streets of heaven today, may be absent from us on this earth now, but the gracious AROMA and sweet FRAGRANCES of her life that was totally yielded to the Lord, still touches and flavors ALL the lives that she touched.

I can only hope that the same might be said for you and me someday as well!  Wouldn’t you agree?

Have a great rest of this week, and as you do… keep EXPECTING God’s best while you seek to season the lives of those around you!

 

*2 Corinthians 2:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.