Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Crazy!




Our Pastor was teaching about standing against fear on Sunday morning and made the comment that Fear makes you do crazy things that you would never otherwise do.”  And it immediately made me smile as I thought about a line from the first RED movie where the retired suave American CIA agent is confiding in his Russian counterpart about his concerns for the safety of his new love interest.  The Russian in reply pulls down his sweater to expose three scars in his right shoulder.  He then explained how the love of his life shot him three times in the shoulder under the direct command of her superiors.  And after a pause he looked seriously into the eyes of his friend and said “If she wanted to kill me, she would have shot me in the head.”  Then he smiles and declares with a great dramatic fashion that “Love makes you do cra-zzzzy things!”

On the more serious side though, I’ve mentioned many times of how Piper and I experienced the stark reality of the truth behind the statement that “Fear makes you do crazy things that you would never otherwise do.”  We saw it, felt it and had to deal with it in the midst of everything else that was turning our lives upside down in the beginning years of Piper’s declining health… and let me tell you, THAT IT AIN’T NO FUN!  I am not sure which was actually worse.  The pain it caused us or the pain, confusion, anger and lack of self-control we witnessed in the lives of those responsible… which, in many respects, was very different than their normal response to life’s pressures. 

In our last post I talked about Paul’s teaching concerning those who get caught up in fear, turn to worry or anxiety instead of toward the peace and security in God’s Word and suddenly find themselves being pulled in two different directions. (See: Philippians 4:6-7)  Today I’d like to look at a different example written by another author, in this case, James the Pastor of the church in Jerusalem and half-brother of Jesus.  He also speaks of the ramifications of someone who is trying to make decisions while thinking along two opposite paths of thought at the same time.  James described it as being “double minded”.  In James 1:8 he matter-of-factly states that: “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.” (KJV)

Think about that for a moment.  It is actually a pretty brash statement to make… but you know…  we found out the hard way that it’s true!  In a way, James reminds me of our Pastor.  He can be very bold and forthright at times!  In the original Greek, the word “double minded” means, “two spirited, wavering, uncertain and divided in interest.”  (Strong’s & Thayer’s)  The word “unstable” is defined as “inconstant, fickle, staggering or reeling like a drunken man.”  (Strong’s & Robertson’s Word Pictures)  Dictionary.com describes an unstable person as one “marked by emotional instability.”  And like I said… ditto!  We experienced it first-hand… to the point that the Lord told me that I needed to limit our time with these individuals. 

But, I m not saying all this just to rehash the hash… but to tell of what I’ve learned and how apropos it has become in this new chapter, in this new season of my life, as well as for all of us in the midst of the Corona Virus Pandemic going on right now around the world.  

I have a tendency to pray in bed after I turn the light out for the evening and last night was a prolonged session.  I found myself telling the Lord that I feel like I hit a wall in my personal progress in continuing on with my life without Piper.  And as I proceeded to tell Him about all the things that I don’t see happening, I had a sudden epiphany when I realized that I was doing exactly what I’d been writing about in my blog to NOT do!  I was bouncing back and forth in faith between what I was believing for, according to God’s Word and what I don’t see happening -YET - around me!  Well… that was kind of a hard blow!  I simply sat there in the dark thinking WHOA!  And finally, I took a moment to reset my brain and realign my life with my faith… instead of with my impatient eyes, ears and head! 

Okay, that’s settled… right?  WRONG!  This morning while I was writing out a grocery list, I found myself beginning to get a little anxious thinking… “what happens if I can’t get the things I need?”  (& believe or not… toilet paper IS on the list!)  But thank God that the Word that I have been putting into my heart bounced right back and IMMEDIATELY reminded that “My God shall supply all of my needs ACCORDING to HIS RICHES in glory in Christ Jesus!” (EMTV personalized)  Ah!  What a relief it is to have one’s faith in something that’s bigger than the US merchandise and food supply chain!  

But what about going out to the store, is it safe?  Hummm… let’s see… Oh Yeah… there’s Isaiah 55:12 saying that When we live our lives within the shadow of God Most High, our secret hiding place, we will always be shielded from harm. How then could evil prevail against us or disease infect us?” (TPT)  

So, what am I really saying?  Don’t be double minded!  BE SINGLE MINDED!  Do all that you need to do in the natural to take care of your physical needs and health concerns and then TAKE THE LORD AT HIS WORD and TRUST in HIM!  Yes, trust Him much more than you trust in what you see going on in the world that differs from the promises in His Word!   IT’S THAT PLAIN AND SIMPLE! 

So, I’ll say it again… Go in peace with your trust, expectations and faith in Him!  Then say with me… I am expecting to stay SINGLE MINDED on the promises of God and His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.