Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

People Watching


We had to bundle up when Fiver and I went out for his first morning jaunt in the wet, 28-degree weather at 7:00 this morning!  There was a 13-mph wind coming from the north which definitely snaps one awake when stepping into the breezeway between buildings.  They were originally forecasting snow for tomorrow, but that eventually changed to what now should be a sunny day with a high of 47.  So… welcome to Oklahoma! 

Out here you’ve got to be ready for almost anything at anytime where the weather is concerned.  I look around my little apartment and I have a raincoat hanging on a chair in the dining room, my hiking shorts and a pair of jeans folded on a chair in the bedroom and a heavy vest and jacket on hooks on two different doors.  Like I said, I’m ready for anything.  All I have to do is step out on my balcony to get a feel for the day and then grab whatever item of clothing that is suitable for the moment… of course that entails having something on already when I step out on the balcony… (that was a joke…)

I was reading in I Corinthians 4:14-16 yesterday from the Message Bible and something hit a chord with me.  In this portion of scripture Paul states:

14) I'm not writing all this as a neighborhood scold just to make you feel rotten. I'm writing as a father to you, my children. I love you and want you to grow up well, not spoiled. 

15) There are a lot of people around who can't wait to tell you what you've done wrong, but there aren't many fathers willing to take the time and effort to help you grow up. It was as Jesus helped me proclaim God's Message to you that I became your father. 

16)  I'm not, you know, asking you to do anything I'm not already doing myself. 

My first thought from verses 15 & 16 was that as a father, I want to always make sure that I have enough spiritual fuel… ie; the Word, in me, to give unto my family in times of need.  That I am willing and maybe more importantly – ABLE – to draw from the reserves that I have built up in me and help others with the strength and conviction of what I am ALREADY doing in my own life.

Piper and I experienced times when those around her simply had nothing in them to give her when she needed their help the most.  I could see the pain on their faces as I am positive that they wanted to help… but had nothing in reserve to share.  I have prayed quite a bit since moving near most of our children in Oklahoma, that I always want to be in a position to help them, when and if needed.  And I’m not primarily talking about finances here, although we were blessed in the last few years to have some extra to assist in that regard.  What I am focusing in on, is the Godly counsel, wisdom, encouragement, grace, and love that can only be found between the covers of our Bibles.  I want to be ready at any time to help in any way I can.

I’ve also been asking the Lord to help me to be both Dad and MOM to our kids.  That in some way… as only He can do… to help me when needed, to channel the sweet wisdom that Piper would share with our children, if she could, if she were still here with us today.  I’ve learned a lot over the years from parents and grandparents from both Piper’s and my families.  I’ve also learned much from many of the older saints that we have had the privilege of ministering to in the various churches in which we served.  In the long run… it was probably more about them ministering to Piper and I as we spoke with them at church and in their homes and observed the way they lived their lives before us.

I want to be like all the good parts of all these wonderful saints!  I say the “good parts” as I’ve also learned from some of what I would consider the negative responses that they may have exhibited in life.  Many of my more recent lessons have come from what I saw people NOT do instead of what actually happened.  I have a hunger to learn and desire to improve myself in order to be the best man that God has called me to be.  How about you?

In many ways, I sense that God is wanting me to use this time of transition in my life since Piper’s passing, to become a better me, so that I am prepared for what He has ahead.  I don’t want to miss it… whatever it is… and whenever it comes!

What do you think?  Are you constantly learning from those around you?  Is God’s Word the ultimate source of direction for you?

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to continue to learn and grow as I observe those around me and study God’s Word.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.