Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, October 18, 2019

8%


I spent the last couple of days with my son-in-law helping him pull network wires for one of his client’s home entertainment system in Collinsville on Wednesday and then in Bartlesville yesterday, helping him retrieve their travel trailer from the dealer they are in the midst of a warranty dispute with.  We had many good conversations and I recalled one in particular this morning.

On the way back down from Bartlesville with the trailer in tow and heading to another RV dealer in Tulsa for an independent inspection, I was thoughtfully sharing some of my feelings concerning the care of my wife during the last eight or so years of her life.  Jeremiah never knew Piper in her healthy days, having initially met her back in 2011 or 2012 while she was still up and walking but not talking much.  I spoke of how difficult it was to see her transform from the woman I adored for all kinds of reasons, one being her striking figure and overall appearance… to one who could no longer care for herself… where I needed to care for her every physical need.

But I also notated that when I think of her today, I hardly ever remember those last years.  I only tend to remember her exuberant, beautiful and life-filled days.  When you do the math those last eight years only make up about 8% of her entire life.  We talked about how in life, it is more important to dwell on the positive rather than the negative, or in Piper’s and my case, to dwell on the 92% and not the 8%.  To let the 92% define her and her legacy and not the 8%.

As Piper and I dealt with her disease and everything it entailed, we interacted with a small segment of individuals who continually attempted to see Piper’s and my life through what they perceived as the negative parts instead of the greater majority of positives that our relationship brought into the world.  In a personal explanation of the Apostle Paul’s thoughts behind the writing of Romans 5:15-19, Eugene Peterson declared in his “Message Devotional Bible” that “Paul seems to be saying, ‘If you think things in the world are bad because of Adam, just take a look at what has gone right in the world because of Christ… open your eyes and see how much more righteousness results from Christ.’”

As I read that this morning, I thought YES!  Why dwell on the smallness of what might be wrong instead of centering your thoughts, your joy and your expectations on the greater amount of good.  Paul continues in Romans 6:4, while talking about water baptism, saying that “when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace – a new life in a new land! (The Message)  That sure excites me!  How do you feel about it?

It especially hit home with me because I ACTUALLY am physically living in a new land out here in Oklahoma.  But in a more introspective and personal way, I believe that the Lord wants each of us to see and experience every day as the beginning of “life in a new land!”  I wake up every single morning and before I allow my feet to hit the ground declare Psalms 124:18 saying (whether I feel like it or not) that: “This is the day the LORD has made. Let's rejoice and be glad today!” (God’s Word ©) It just seems to help kickstart my day and get me going in the right direction!

In 2 Corinthians 4:16 Paul emphatically states: “So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace.” 

If we look at life from this standpoint… its pretty difficult to not get excited when we grasp the reality of living “a new life in a new land…” even if you’ve lived in the same physical location for many years.  Start your day with a “New Life, New Land” mindset.  Dwell on the 92% and not on the 8%!

As far as I am concerned… I lived 48 (and as my Mother would always add when wishing anyone Happy Anniversary wishes) “GLORIOUS YEARS” with the most wonderful woman in the whole world.  I am thankful for EVERY year whether difficult on us or not, for the good years FAR surpassed the hard ones… and those good ones are the years that I use to define the beauty of our life together!

What do you dwell on?  What will you allow to define YOUR legacy?

Have a wonderful weekend, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to allow the POSITIVE to define who I am, who I was and what legacy I will leave behind!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.