Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Child-like-ness...


I had the honor this morning of leading the chapter discussion for the book we are reading in one of the men’s Connect Groups at my new church.  To be honest… I was a little nervous!  I hadn’t led any group in a ministry setting for many years.  But these guys are terrific!  They are REAL people.  The talk is straight forward and honest and they are very excited and hungry for God.  

That is one of the things that drew me to this church in the first place.  There is a definite sense of excitement and expectation that seems to explode with the first note of music as the praise and worship team begins the Sunday services and the anticipation builds throughout the sermon and closing prayer.  You definitely walk away from each service with an anointed bounce in your step!  Hopefully that’s the way the men left today’s meeting…

We’re reading the book “Play the Man” by Mark Batterson.  The scripture for the chapter that I was talking about today was from I Corinthians 13:11 where the Apostle Paul teaches us one of the core virtues of manhood when he declared: “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became an adult, I no longer used childish ways.” 

The chapter synopsis centers around the thought that putting your childhood behind is not the act of losing our childlike sense of wonder or humor, but instead, putting away any childish self-centeredness.  When I originally read this in the book, I was reminded of a funny incident that came out of an argument (my fault!) with my wife during a very stressful time in our lives.  We had recently lost our 1st house due to some poor decisions that I had made (that Piper, at the time, was in support of) and we were in the process of reluctantly packing up our stuff.  I don’t remember the substance of the disagreement but do recall what ensued afterwards.

Piper was leaning back against the wall in the entrance to our hallway and I was facing her, standing a few feet away.  Many of our heated discussions over the years were due to my sarcasm… and, simply said, not having the smarts to know when to shut up!  And this time was one of those occasions.  Thinking I would have the last snarky say, my words caused her to get upset and… which was unusual for her… she stomped her right foot backwards against the wall.  Well, to everyone’s surprise, her foot went right through the wall and left a gaping hole!  That was about all she could handle and she quietly turned and calmly walked into our bedroom.

Well Duh!  I knew instantly that I had blown it and followed her into our room… but not before I grabbed a pair of one of our daughter’s white tennis shoes and placed them in the hole, making it look like someone was stuck inside the wall!  After making amends with Piper, we walked backed down the hallway only to have Piper burst out in almost uncontrollable laughter over my joke with the shoes!  Like I said, after that, neither of us could remember the cause of the argument!

Piper and I always seemed to enjoy a childlike wonder and sense of adventure (and humor) during the years of our relationship.  I think it was one of the things that separated us from many within our perspective families.  Of course, working with kids, youth and singles for some 35 plus years didn’t hurt in keeping us with a youthful mental state of mind!  I mean let’s face it, as I looked across that long table this morning, it was easy to see that I was older than most of the men there.  But except for times of soreness in my knees or hips… I sure don’t feel older!

I firmly believe that God wants us to keep a sense of childlike wonder throughout our lives, no matter how old we are.  What do you think about that?  Like I asked the men this morning, are there areas in your life where you could become more CHILDLIKE and maybe less CHILDISH?

Have a good weekend.  I’ve got an invitation to go fishing with my kids and granddaughter today… talk about being child-like!  If you think about it, say with me, “I am expecting to be more and more CHILDLIKE today and less and less CHILD-ISH!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.