Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, August 1, 2014

Shine On!


As I settled into my quiet time with the Lord this morning, I caught some movement outside our back windows and was mesmerized by the sight of a red cardinal that had just alighted on the patio railing.  I watched as he stood there for a moment or two and then fluttered up a foot to the yellow marigold we have hanging on the corner post.  It was an amazing picture as the sun had temporarily broken through the cloudy skies and highlighted the bird’s radiant red feathers that contrasted beautifully with the green leaves and bright yellow flowers of the plant.
I have to tell you that my whole attitude for the day changed in an instant!  From a tired start and the prospects of a not too exciting day of washing my wife’s hair and opening a new bank account, I suddenly felt a new hope and a charge of encouragement for the great things that the Lord had in store for us on this day!  Isn’t it funny how one seemingly small encounter can change your whole outlook?
When the bird flew away and I returned to my studies, I found myself reading from Matthew 5:14-16 where Jesus was teaching those gathered around Him that “You are the light of the world…” (God’s Word ©)  As He continued His explanation of the proper use of a lamp and compared it to its similarities to the believer, I thought about how our very presence in a room can change the physical atmosphere as well as the attitude of those present.  Kind of like the effect that the red cardinal had on me!
I realized during the last holiday season that this was the same kind of effect that my wife had on our family gatherings.  When I thought about what was missing over the last few years, it dawned on me that it has always been my wife who was the catalyst for the laughter and light hearted attitudes that had been vividly absent from the recent get-togethers.  She was that light on the lampstand that illuminated the room!  Her light shined so bright that it extinguished any darkness of depression and hopelessness lurking in the lives of those present and caused everyone to relax, rejoice, laugh and have fun.
I think Jesus was telling His listeners that this is the effect that we as believers should have everywhere we go… the effect of turning hopelessness in to an earnest expectation of the good things of the kingdom of God.  My little wife had the uncanny ability to turn almost every conversation into a foundation to boast of the goodness of God.  At times (I hate to admit it…) she would embarrass me as she would talk to an obviously very harried cashier at a store and end up turning the person’s situation into an opportunity to encourage her with the love of God.
Now, I tend to find myself taking up that role as I push Piper, her chair and the shopping cart up to the cashier in the store.  Better to get over one’s personal fear and embarrassment at a later time in life than never at all I guess!  What about you?  Do you let your light shine brightly into every room that you walk into?  You know… many times you don’t even have to say anything.  Your smile and joyful attitude will usually make the difference.  I had that happen to me as I was picking up my Tux for my son’s wedding in June at the Men’s Wearhouse in Tulsa! 
And it can also happened to you when you least expect it!  Just let the real you, the real man or women on the inside shine out, and God will surely do the rest!  Give it a shot this weekend!  Shine bright, shine strong and change the atmosphere as you encounter others each day.  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word… and to the opportunities that He sets up for you, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting to SHINE on today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.