Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Marvel Universe - pt 2


I began my study this morning by proceeding down a rabbit trail that I had flagged yesterday.  I read of another time when the Jewish leaders marveled, but this time it was not at Jesus, but at the boldness of two of His followers!  Acts 4:13 tells us that “when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.” (KJV)
It would seem from this event, that being with Jesus had literally changed these men!  The Geneva Bible Translation Notes notate that the actual word used to describe the two Apostles here is “idiot!”  And while I do not think that it carried the same derogatory sense that it does today, it “signifies one that is unlearned, and with regard to honour and estimation, it implies one of base degree and of no estimation.”  In other words, it still was a pretty cutting remark!  It is interesting to see that because of their words and actions, the leaders KNEW that Peter and John had been with Jesus.  I think they had the idea that what they heard and had seen in Jesus back in John 5:19-20, had rubbed off on His disciples!
They also KNEW that it wasn’t just a casual relationship with the One whom people were referring to as the Messiah that caused this radical change in them.  The religious leaders understood it to be “a close union” with Him that caused them to resemble Jesus. (see Strong’s definition of “with”)  They could see the results of this close relationship in their boldness and confidence of speech, as well as in the presence of the healed man standing at their side!  Acts 4:14 says: “But seeing the man who was healed standing beside them, they had nothing to say in opposition.”  (English Standard Version)
I was once told with a slight laugh, by a close relative of my wife’s when I had been in management at Hewlett Packard for many years, that they didn’t understand how I could do my job.  I knew that it was meant to be a critical remark but laughed it off because my favor at work and regular increases was proof that they could not deny!  This to me is the same way that we should be when it comes to living our faith.  Like Peter and John, our lives infused with the love and power of Jesus should be all we need to prove the validity of who we are and Whom we follow because of our close relationship to Him.
It is interesting to note that the boldness the Jewish leaders marveled at is defined by Thayer’s as “free and fearless confidence” and “cheerful courage.”  That kind of reaction can only come about from a relationship with Jesus that is based on His unfailing love and grace and not on some kind of fear of retribution.  In defense of their words Peter explained to the religious leaders that “we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4:20  ESV)  Kinda sounds like Jesus’ comments to probably the same group of men a few years prior doesn’t it?
One overall thought that I came away with from my study of this today was that I need not be embarrassed or unconfident when it comes to sharing anything about Jesus and the marvels of His kingdom (the REAL universe to Marvel at!) with anyone.  For just like the Jewish leaders KNEW that it was Jesus speaking and acting through Peter and John, the same is true for you and me!   We don’t need to be concerned at what others may think of us, because they will be seeing Jesus in us.  I want to be just like Him, don’t you?  Then I want to be able to sit back and observe the marvel in people’s expressions when they experience the love, the grace and the power of Christ working in and through me… or through you!  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.