Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Early In The Morning...

I was amazed as I perused through Jesus’ activities during the week before His resurrection, at all the concentrated teaching that He shared with the people and religious leaders in and around Jerusalem.   He covered a multitude of subjects including His definitive example and ensuing explanation of faith in action.  The one part that really caught my attention as I read this was in Mark 11:20 where the writer talks about the time of day that this event took place.  He began this story by stating: “And in the morning, as the passed by…” (KJV)  Other translations are a little more descriptive in their narratives by rendering it: “early in the morning” as the word “morning” in the original Hebrew actually means “dawn or the break of day” (Strong’s)

Can’t you just picture it?  The disciples and Jesus are sleepily walking toward Jerusalem as the sun is breaking over the horizon.  They probably stopped at the local Starbucks on the way out of Bethany for a hot wake-me-up cup of Java and were cradling the warmth of the precious brew as they traversed the countryside.  Suddenly Peter catches a glance of the fig tree that Jesus had cursed the previous morning and he notices that it is dried up from the roots.  Instantly his spiritual sensors go off and he quickly catches up to Jesus, points to the tree and shouts: “Look Rabbi!  The fig tree you cursed has dried up.” (God’s Word ©)  Then with rapt attention all the eyes of those in the group turn to Jesus and so He stopped and took the opportunity to teach them about the God kind of faith.
This beginning of that story reminds me of a time numerous years ago when my wife and I were suddenly asked to take over the leadership of the beleaguered Youth Group at our church.  As the assistant Pastor I wore many hats and at that time besides everything else, I was leading and directing the Children’s Ministry.  Over the years we had built up a strong and coordinated leadership team that helped to keep all the activities and classes running smoothly with much enthusiasm and growth in participants!  When the leadership over the Youth Ministry began to have some difficulties, the Senior Pastor asked my wife and I to leave the Children’s Ministry in the hands of two of our most capable lead teachers and for us to step in as the leaders of the teens. 
The first thing that we set out to do was to rebuild the teamwork, trust and camaraderie within the group.  As it turned out we were able to get a last minute invitation to attend a summer youth camp but needed to quickly come up with some fund raisers as there was very little time before the camp took place at the beginning of the summer.   This rush turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the various fundraisers helped to begin the process of bringing the group back together again.  I was also hoping that the camp would prove to be one of those mountain top experiences for the youth that would draw their focus totally on the Lord.
On the second day of the youth retreat, I arose early in the morning just as the sun was coming up and with Bible in hand walked over to the river that ran through the camp.  I was still a bit unsettled with our leadership of the group and was alert to hear directions from the Lord for the year ahead.  After the first night it became obvious that this camp was not going to be like all the other youth retreats that I had been a part of in past years.  From the onset of the praise and worship there was a heavy anointing of the Holy Spirit that filled the room.  Any hesitancy on the part of the youth and their leaders was quickly dissipated as the participants of the camp openly wept, laughed, danced and fell to the floor in the Lord’s presence.  Therefore in the early hours of that day I also found that my spiritual sensors were sharp and alert and hungry for any input from the Lord.
I think that this was the same thing that was happening to the disciples on that early morning as they stood in front of that dried up fig tree!  I’m sure that they were more than a little disturbed at the events that had been happening around them and the talk of Jesus’ soon departure, but yet their spiritual sensors were probably also ablaze due to the crowds, the teaching and activities that they had been experiencing with Jesus since they arrived in Jerusalem a couple of days before.  And since it was the first thing in the morning they were in a place that was still free from the coming distractions of the day ahead.
In Psalm 5:3 the Psalmist declares “You will hear my voice in the morning (ie; dawn or the break of day), O Jehovah, I will set myself for you in the morning, and I will look up.” (Literal Translation of the Bible)  To “set” means “to arrange, put in order, prepare or ordain.” (Strong’s and Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Definitions)  So in modern terminology the writer is saying that he will establish, or arrange the order of his day with the Lord first thing each morning.  I don’t really think that it was just a coincidence that the Lord taught the disciples the most important lesson on faith first thing in the morning.  I believe He knew that they would be fresh and unencumbered with the events of the day yet to come and ready, willing and able to receive the message that they would use as a foundation for their teaching (and ours) for the years to come.
Now I know of many people who have various times throughout the day, especially at night before they retire for the evening, that they have set aside for their personal quiet study time with the Lord.  I’m just one of those firm believers that morning is the best time with the example set by the Lord Himself when He walked the earth.  But I guess that decision is up to everyone to make for themselves.  The important thing is that the time IS SET APART AND TAKEN with Him each and every day! 
So think about it!  Just how do you spend your waking hours?  When do you “set” yourself for the Lord each day?  And how’s that working for you?  Well, I guess I’ll see you at the fig tree!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.