Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

ALL!

In the second of three points that the Pastor was making in his sermon on Sunday, he talked about the compassion of Jesus.  At one stage he made a comment that stunned me.  In describing Matthew 9:35 where it states that “Jesus went to all the towns and villages.  He taught in the synagogues and spread the Good News of the kingdom.  He also cured every disease and sickness,” (God’s Word ©) the Pastor paused and asked the congregation to think about that scene for a moment.  He described the narrow city streets in those days and painted the picture that as Jesus walked through the towns and villages, everything before Him was sickness, but everything behind Him was perfect health!

Think about that for a moment!  The Bible says that He cured every disease and sickness.  In my way of thinking, that would mean anything from the common cold to the most devastating of diseases.  He healed them ALL!  Wow!  That statement inked a very vivid photograph of what it must have looked like as He walked through a city and left behind a trail of health and hope!  Now, if you put that picture together with Hebrews 13:8 where it declares that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever” (God’s Word ©) we should be seeing the same results today. 
Earlier in the morning in my quiet time before I had gotten my wife up for the day, I had been studying from Philippians 3:9-10.  Those two verses talk about us having a “faith that knows Christ.  Faith (that) knows the power that His coming back to life (ie; His resurrection) gives.” (God’s Word ©)  Those scriptures came back into the forefront of my thoughts as I listened to the Pastor and pictured Jesus as He walked through the towns and villages of His day.
The word translated “know” in Philippians 3:9-10 is describing us as having an intimate relationship with Jesus, knowing each other as closely as a husband and wife should know each other.  When I consider that I can know Jesus as intimately as I have come to know my wife over the last 43 years, I stand amazed at the unlimited possibilities of our relationship.  When I am with her I feel like I can do anything.  The same should be said of when I am in the presence of the Lord.  The difference being though, that in His presence we are overcome with His power and His ability and not that of our own.
In His presence we should be seeing the sick made well, needs being met, broken individuals and families being restored and the goodness and love of God being sent forth to those around us.  When Jesus physically walked this earth, those results followed Him.  Can we say the same thing today?  If not, maybe it is because we don’t really “know” Him and the power of His resurrection that should be flowing through the actions of faith in our lives.
I admit that I have days where I don’t feel like the presence of Jesus is flowing from my relationship with Him into the lives of those I meet on the street, or in the supermarket or sometimes even at church.  Who’s fault is that?  It’s probably mine.  Do I aggressively seek that same level of intimate relationship with Him as I have pursued with my lovely wife over the years – probably not!  But now I know the possibilities and potential of that relationship.  Jesus in His great commission to the church as found at the end of the books of Matthew and Mark has given us the authority to use His name, lay hands on the sick and preach the Good News of the kingdom of God.
The more we “know” of Him, the more capable and confident we will become in fulfilling His command to us.  I guess the bottom line is that it all becomes a matter of priority in our lives.  We can make all the excuses we want concerning our seemingly lack of time to spend with Him or we can rearrange our lives and make the time to get to “know” Him and thereby be the force He has called us to be in our world.  Think about that!
Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.