Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Little Things

Yesterday I mentioned about the used transport chair that we were able to pick up for my wife.  The chair was really in pretty good condition except that one of the foot supports was bent and wouldn’t allow my wife’s right foot to stay off the ground.  So I put on my thinking cap and was able to make a few adjustments and now it works just fine.  When I finished working on the chair I looked at the clock and noticed that I had enough time to either wash my wife’s hair or take her for a walk before starting dinner.

The weather had turned nice again and the sun and clear blue skies were beckoning us.  Guess which activity I choose?  Your right… the walk!  Since it was a little chilly I put a vest on my wife over her Giants hoodie, helped her into the chair and took off down the walkway outside our front door.  I told her that we would walk out to the front street and see how she was doing at that point.  Well she loved it!  From the minute we went outside she had a huge smile on her face and we ended up walking to our community lake and strolling through the neighborhood around our home.
When we got to the lake we just stopped and enjoyed the warmth of the sun and the sights around the lake.  It had been months since we walked around the lake.  The last time we had been there, I actually drove over to it and then we slowly walked on one side of the water and Piper was exhausted.  This time the chair made it to be quite a pleasurable time for both of us. 
As we gazed over the lake I just relished all the sights.  I even found myself looking for the three ducks and unfriendly goose that live there.  (I am not a big fan of aggressive geese!  That’s why we always brought the dog.  Our resident big white goose would never come near us when Mandie was there!)  Everything looked simply marvelous.  The water fountain, the trees, the clear blue water in the vacant swimming pools at the adjacent recreation area, the park like setting and the peaceful calm of the day.  It was just Piper and I and the goodness of God present in the scenery all around us!
As I read from the book of James this morning, I was reminded of that peaceful walk.  Verse 17 from chapter one tells us that “Every good present and perfect gift comes from above, from the Father who made the sun, moon and stars (even that goose!).  The Father doesn’t change like the shifting shadows produced by the sun and the moon.” (God’s Word ©)  All those “little things” that blessed us yesterday were made by our loving heavenly Father to enjoy.  And those “little things” are all around us everywhere we go!  All we have to do is to stop and look for them.  We could have hurriedly walked to and from the lake yesterday, but we didn’t.  We took the time to stop and enjoy the moment that God had given us.  Both my wife and I went home with a whole new outlook.  Before we had gone for the walk, my wife had been dozing off for most of the day.  Once we went out, she returned with a smile, energy and love for life.  For me, it was as if all the shackles of the day had fallen off and joy, strength and purpose for life had returned.
Those “little things” made all the difference to us, and they can do the same for you.  God made them just for you to enjoy.  He never tires from or changes His desires to bless you.  So stop and look around yourself today.  Look for and find those “little things” that surround you.  Then remember to thank Him for those good presents and perfect gifts that He has provided for you!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What Little Things am I expecting To See today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.