Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Harmony III - Relationships That Work!

As my wife and I sat around my folks large dining room table with my family enjoying a delicious slice of my Mom’s homemade cake, my brother-in-law asked what was the secret of our successful marriage.   We had gathered that night in celebration of our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.  As the room grew quiet and all eyes affixed themselves on me, I looked at my wife and smiled and said that we had always been a team working for God!  Without going into a lot of detail I went on to explain that our lives were always centered around Him. 

I’m pretty sure that none of the people sitting there really understood what I was trying to convey to them.  To be honest, I’m not too sure that I fully understood my statement!  The course that I chose to walk in life was totally different from the rest of my family.  I think I was looked upon as sort of a fanatic when it came to my faith.  I had left the Catholic Church, was raising my family in a Protestant Pentecostal Word of Faith Church and on top of all that, I was a licensed minister actively involved in the church’s leadership!
Most of our family’s activities were closely interwoven with the ministry of the church.  Sure our kids were involved in the city soccer leagues, ballet, basketball and with the school band, but the majority of our recreation and fellowship was with the church.  As the Youth and Children’s Pastor I was always involved in special events with my family at my side.  Even to this day my youngest daughter says that she strongly misses the hands on-behind the scenes involvement that was a part of her childhood.  She and her husband are looking forward to the ministry that the Lord has for them to lead in the near future.
Needless to say, my Christian beliefs and involvement was at times a source of contention between my family and I.  But it was (and is) our lives!  From the first month we started dating, my wife and I participated in Christian ministry.  We became the leaders of the youth group and later on with the College Career group at her church before we were married.  A week or so after we were married I went on staff as the Junior High Youth Minister and it has never stopped since.  And through it all, my wife and I have been a team, working with a single purpose and passion for Him.
When I answered my brother in law on that night over twelve years ago, I just knew it was our united connection to God and His ways that kept us together when most other marriages in the family had ended in divorce.  As I recently studied out Philippians 2:2 in the New King James Version, I suddenly understood the meaning behind my words concerning the success of our marriage.  Here Paul is telling his readers to “fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.” 
In reference to a husband and wife, Webster’s 1828 dictionary informs us that term “being in one accord” could define a couple that is “in concert; with the union of different sounds.”  The Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states that it literally means “with united souls.”  If you were to put those two definitions together you could paint a picture of how two different individuals with different backgrounds, talents and personalities can be blended together as an unbreakable and powerful force for God when their souls become united in their commitment to their Savior.
That’s why it has worked for us.  Sure we’ve had our disagreements over the years, but that one united foundation of our souls always brought us back into harmony with one another.  The various influences and activities of life may bring pressure to a marriage, but the solid foundation of two souls united in Him with ALWAYS weather any storm.
Husbands and wives can have an abundance of unified goals and purposes and common bonds such as children, sports and hobbies, but in order to last the test of time they need to be united in spirit in their commitment to God.  This is something that I always like to share when I meet with couples for pre-nuptial counseling and it is the same vital piece of information that I feel led to share with you today.  It is never too late to establish this unified foundation.  A couple that lives life with “united souls” can honestly live from day to day knowing that it is just going to get better as life goes on!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.