Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 15, 2013

Good Things

Over the last year or so I have gotten in to the habit of writing “What Good Things am I expecting today?” at the very top of my daily Bible study notes page.  But I realized this morning that once I had written it down that I would get so captivated by the good Word that I was reading that I would many times forget the thought that I started out my day with!

But not today!  I awoke looking for peace as I was a little apprehensive as to what the day had in store for me.  I didn’t mention it in my Valentine’s post, but my wife had another seizure when I was getting her ready for the day yesterday.  It was somewhat lighter than previous ones so I did not call 911 and she bounced back rather quickly, although she slept for a good portion of the day.  But never-the-less, I was dealing with the memories today.  After conferencing with our doctor we increased her evening dosage of the new med she is on and I was wondering how this day would begin.
As soon as I wrote down my declaration of the Good Things that I was expecting today, I felt something jump inside of me!  Then as I perused through Hebrews 13, I came to verse nine and read: “For it is a Good Thing that the heart be established with grace.” (KJV)  That made my heart jump even higher!  It is a Good Thing that we be established in His unmerited favor and love in action in our lives!
When I neared the end of the letter I camped out at verse 21 and took in the glorious sights and truth that are there.  It states: “May this God of peace prepare you to do every Good Thing he wants.” (God’s Word ©)  It would seem that God wants us established in the Good Things that are available through His grace and that He has Good Things in store for us to accomplish because of this grace!  Those words gave me another jolt and I realized that I had been looking at all the wrong things since the moment I had gotten up about an hour previous to this time.
I had been looking at what could possible go wrong again this morning instead of the Good Things that would cause things to go right!  A few moments later I came across a quote by the beloved children’s writer Dr. Seuss who made the comment in one of his books that “You’ll miss the best (or good) things if you keep your eyes shut!”
I realized that I had allowed myself to get so caught up in the things that were happening in the natural around me, that I had inadvertently shut my eyes to the Good Things of God’s Word!  Well… I might have been born at night, but I wasn’t born last night!  It didn’t take me long at all to see the folly of my ways and make an instant adjustment!  And with that adjustment came a “peace which goes far beyond anything that we can imagine (in the natural)…” (Philippians 4:7 God’s Word ©)
Now I am allowing my heart to be reestablished in His grace so that I can see and dwell on the Good Things around me.  And let me tell you… I sure feel a lot better and much more positive about the outlook of my day!
So… don’t let yourself be like a character in one of Dr. Seuss’ books who tried to read with his eyes shut!  Open ‘em up, but make sure they are looking at the right things - the Good Things of God!  Then you’ll see everything around you through the eyes of His grace!  Give it a try this weekend and see if you don’t find yourself with a better outlook on life!  Have a great weekend!  Stay in tune to His word and keep asking yourself… “What Good Things am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.