Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Enjoying Life!

Yesterday was a typically brisk fall day here in northern California --- NOT!  Actually, when my wife, and the pooch and I went out for a little walk around 1:00 in the early afternoon it was quite HOT!  The temperature gauge in our large back patio was hovering right at 100 degrees and even the dog looked extra warm as we walked along the path under the shade of the large Maple and Oak trees that lined our way.  But I cannot complain, after living in the South for a few years while attending Bible School, I am convinced that we are blessed with some of the best weather in the country!

Now is the time of year when the leaves on the trees are changing colors and the horizon is set aglow with the bright red, yellow and golden hues that seem to be almost iridescent when the sun slips behind them in the late afternoon.   The Oak trees around us are absolutely loaded this year with acorns.  At times when the wind comes, it almost sounds like we are under attack as the little nuts fall down and pelt our roof, windows and patio!  Our dog Mandie keeps going back and forth between our two patio sliding doors and whining.  I think that she is anticipating the return of the squirrel who made daily appearances there last year in order to collect his winter food supplies.
I’m sure that I must have mentioned last season when Mandie and I would play our little cat and mouse game with the squirrel.  After many occurances, it got to the point where the squirrel had become accustomed to Mandie’s barking at the window and would ignore the dog and go merrily on his way.  Well in order to spice things up a little, I would sneak over to the side of the sliding door, undetected by the squirrel, and suddenly open the window so Mandie could make her mad dash outside.  It was always good for a hearty laugh as the squirrel would literally fly over the fence, only to return a few moments later to continue his foraging.  I think the squirrel was actually enjoying the interaction!  Ah… the things that we do for a little fun!
So, why am I writing about the weather, the trees and a gray squirrel?  I think that I’m just sharing some of the simple pleasures in life.  Life can be what you make out of it.  Even though it is unusually hot outside for this time of year, it doesn’t mean that I have to let it spoil my day!  (and remember, most homes around here, including ours, do not have air conditioning!)  There are plenty of good things happening all around me to fill my heart with joy and thanksgiving.  Psalms 118:24 says “This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it!” (English Standard Version) 
In the natural viewpoint of things, my wife is in the midst of a battle with a disease that medical science says has no cure.  But thank God, we have a higher source to depend on.  The other day I found myself getting a little low over the way things looked and then was reminded at that evening’s service that we need to keep our eyes on the Word that never changes, is always faithful and is the solid truth that is considered SUPER in the face of the NATURAL that is subject to change!  I like that, how about you!
II Corinthians 2:14 tells us that we have God’s victory right NOW, just when we need it! The Apostle Paul spoke from personal experience when he said, “Now thanks be to God which always causeth us to triumph in Christ.” (KJV)  So it looks to me that any time is a good time to be happy and enjoy your life!  Therefore I encourage you to step out the door and enjoy everything around you RIGHT NOW!  Find  something pleasant and thank the Lord for it!  After all, He made it just for you!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.