Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, October 8, 2012

Columbus Day (Observed)

“In fourteen hundred ninety-two
 Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

 He had three ships he left from Spain,
 He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain.

 He sailed by night he sailed by day,
 He used the stars to find his way.

 A compass also helped him know,
 How to find the way to go.

 Ninety sailors were on board,
 Some men worked while others snored.

 Then the workers went to sleep,
 And others watched the ocean deep.

 Day after day they looked for land,
 They dreamed of trees and rocks and sand.

 October 12 their dream came true,
 You never saw a happier crew…”

Despite all the things that have been said and written about Christopher Columbus over the years, be they true or not, one would have to admit that he was an adventurer and a man with a vision.  He did what most men at the time thought was impossible or fool hearty, and while he did not accomplish his original goal of finding a western route to the Orient, he opened the way for the European exploration and colonization of the Americas.  His daring voyage open the way for literally thousands of others to follow their dreams in the New World.

As I was reading my Bible this morning I began to see how a Christian’s voyage of faith can make him or her to be a Columbus in the life of another person.   In Mark 11:23 Jesus told us “For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says.” (NKJV)  An interesting discovery that I made was His different uses of the words “say” and “says.”

When Jesus talked about what we “say” to the mountain, he was talking about a one time declaration of our faith, sort of where we draw the lie in the sand.  It is the time when we take a stand of faith and believe that we receive what we are proclaiming (or commanding to come to past according to the Greek), that is in line with the will of God.  Then He directs us to not doubt but believe that “those things he says will come to pass.”  The word “says” there, actually infers what you talk about after your initial stand of faith.  It is a continuing discourse to affirm the stand that you have made.  My Eureka moment came as I discovered Thayer’s Greek Definitions explanation saying that this word also means “to teach.”

So, our stand of faith can act as a lesson for someone else.  Our firm stand and confidence on God and His Word can be the thing that draws an unbeliever to Christ, or gives a tentative believer the courage to step out and trust God and His Word in a new and unexplored area of their life!  I also like the idea that my faith isn’t just about me, it can and does affect others around me!

One of the difficult things that I have had to deal with in the constant care of my wife is to assure that I take care of myself in the process.  If I don’t stay healthy, I cannot give her the level of care that she deserves.  The hard part has been in hearing people tell me that I need to take “me time.”  I finally figured out how foreign a phrase that is to me.  I just do not think in terms of “what I need for me,” it sounds so selfish!  The joy of my life has been to be with my wife. When a friend recently told me that her greatest pleasures and refreshing times come when she is alone with her husband, I could not agree more heartily!  Now I am suddenly being told that I need to get away from my wife and it is hard to swallow, even though I can understand the principle when it comes to being a 24/7 caregiver.  The only thing that helps me is knowing that any personal refreshing I receive also benefits her.      

That’s kind of like the idea of our personal stands of faith being of good to others as well as to ourselves.  For me, it makes my stand to be even more steadfast until I see the manifestation of what I am believing for.  I want others to know of the faithfulness of God! And if the “saying” of what I am believing for is a lesson for others, than I am all for it!  Remember, you may be the only Jesus someone else might see!

So go out today and be a Christopher Columbus.  Step out and set sail for new lands, new adventures in faith and let your shining example be a blessing to your world.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.