Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Morning Headlines

Similarly to what I had done in North Carolina, when I first moved here to Broken Arrow, I signed up to receive the local newspaper, thinking that it would help to familiarize me with local news, events, churches, entertainment, weather and the shopping scene.  This time though, I thought that I would be smart and only get the digital package so as to not collect stacks of physical papers like always happened in the past.

But I soon discovered that no matter the format… I tended not to read the paper on a regular basis!  I finally came to realize that I don’t like to look at the news first thing in the morning and by the time I got to the paper in the afternoon… when I remembered about it… it was already old news!

As most of you probably already know… if you know me at all… the news I like to start my day off with, rain or shine, summer or winter… is God’s news!  For me, it is important to get God’s take on what happening around the world… and how I should respond to it… before I get the world’s point of view and their tendency to lean toward negativity and fear.

Lately I have been starting my day with Philippians chapter four.  K.L. Brook’s Summarized Bible states that the key word to best describe the theme of the entire chapter is “JOY” as found in Philippians 4:4 where the Apostle Paul encouraged us from his prison cell saying, “Always be joyful in the Lord! I'll say it again: Be joyful!” (God’s Word ©)  He then goes on by telling us to “ Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.” Paul's vast experience in the areas of trials and tribulations tells us that these actions will give us “God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine…” (Philippians 4:6-7 God’s Word ©) 

Well… that sounds all great and dandy… but how do you accomplish that seemingly impossible feat with everything going on in the world today?

Ah Ha!  I’m glad you asked!

Paul doesn’t leave us in a lurch here but also gives us the answer to this question… as well as the reason for why I have made it a daily habit to go to God’s Headline News each and every morning BEFORE I get anywhere near any secular news.  Philippians 4:8 concludes his directions to us by simply stating, “Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.” (God’s Word ©)

And THAT INFORMATION is very easy to find… as it is ALL contained within the pages of God’s Word… which just happens to be yours and my BIBLEs! 

But in order for this to work, you have to make the decision as Piper and I did back in the mid-1970’s… that God’s Word is the source of everything that is right and deserves praise… that it is THE TRUTH… no matter what your senses and or the headlines may be trying to tell (or SELL) you, and that His words are filled with honor, fairness, and purity… as well as being acceptable and commendable.

I’ve discovered over the years, that when I take and act on God’s Word as being the truth… Well, I can’t help by to be JOYFUL every day… and confuse people around me because I seem to smile and laugh a lot!

What do you think about that?  Wouldn’t you agree?  Why be SAD when God’s Word has the power to make us GLAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.