Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, March 29, 2021

Living the Expected Plan

I had to make a change in the PLAN this morning as Fiver and I were out on our morning walk.  We normally walk behind the houses at the back of our subdivision, along the golf course and up to the neighborhood park and large pond.  As we got closer to the park though, I noticed that the lawn care crew was out and about mowing in and around the park.  And since the noise from the commercial zero-turn mowers startle Fiver and make him anxious, I made some quick decisions and turned us around when we got near the park and took him along another path that would be more conducive to our normal morning time of solitude and mental refreshment.

I realized earlier as I was grabbing Fiver’s harness and leash off the coatrack, that I actually look forward to and enjoy our early morning outside adventures.  Whether the weather is windy like it was today, freezing cold in the winter, cool and crisp as in fall and spring or just plain HOT like most summer days… Our AM walks just seem to help me to get refreshed and ready for whatever may lie ahead. The activity outside, first thing in the morning, gets me thinking about more than just myself, and gives me an opportunity to greet and uplift the early morning golfers… and maybe most importantly, I just like to be outdoors and enjoy the weather, the view, the company and speak out my praise and thanksgiving to God for directing me to where I am right now!

And speaking of where God has me right now… When Fiver and I needed to make a change in our normal morning walk PLAN earlier today, I began to reflect on how God has a unique PLAN for each of us that will, at times, need to be adjusted, re-routed, reconfigured to fit the current status of our lives… and many times… to be adjusted to account for the mis-steps, that I believe He most likely knows, that we’ll make along the way!

When Piper and I returned home to California after I attended Bible College, I never expected to leave California again!  Our PLAN was to start a church in a city north of our hometown and to dive into the full-time ministry opportunity that we had prayed about and envisioned for years… and look where I am some twelve years later, including a five year stay in North Carolina and Piper’s passing onto glory!  Whew!  I can’t say that I saw any of THAT coming!

As you can probably imagine, I have spent a lot of time over this last year, while my life began to settle down following that pretty turbulent time between our return to California and my new home, thinking about, praying about and simply antagonizing about the “WHAT NOW PLAN” that I NEVER in a million years would have thought to consider as a part of MY life!

Over the weekend though, I was led to seek shelter from all my questions and considerations in the form of God’s promise to us as found in Jeremiah 29:11 when HE declared, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” (KJV)  The Message Bible removes any confusion to the point that the Lord was trying to make by simply stating, “I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for (or better said: the good future that you are expecting).” 

For me, that special promise takes out all the doubt, unbelief and worst-case scenarios that any of us can think about concerning God’s PLAN for our future.  Wouldn’t you agree?  I may not yet know the details of the specific PLAN that God has formulated for me here in Oklahoma… but what I DO know... is that HE has everything PLANNED out for a positive future.  

I find that I do best when I stop trying to look for and figure out any potential future PLANS while looking backwards.  God’s promise to you and me in Jeremiah 29:11 assures us that our future is a good future filled with all the greatest EXPECTATIONS that we can dream of!  What do you think about that?

Sure, parts of the PLAN will get adjusted as we go along in our lives, but in the end, I believe that if we keep in tune to Him and His Word, stay sensitive to His leadings and expect His BEST… then we are assured that there are still good things in our lives that are yet to come… and that our futures are bright! 

Over the years I have seen too many people get so stuck in their past that they can’t break free to envision a positive future… much less receive the GREAT EXPECTATIONS of the PLAN that God has ready and waiting for them.  So never give up!  Stay in fellowship with Him through His Word, prayer and church fellowship and keep EXPECTING His best! 

...And as usual... I’m expecting you to have a terrific week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.