Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

flat-footed

[flat-footed]

 

o   Having flat feet.

o   Unable to move quickly and smoothly; clumsy

o   Not clever or imaginative; uninspired

                            synonyms:

clumsy · awkward · blundering · bumbling · lumbering · shambling ·  

    

Have you ever felt like a certain situation suddenly happened and it caught you “Flat-Footed?”  This reaction hit Piper and I very close to home when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  I was trying to explain this to a close family member the other day, but I had a difficult time putting it into words… until I came back to a familiar verse of scripture found in Ephesians 1:12, a few days later.  

Previous to this in Ephesians 1:10, the Apostle Paul relates to his readers of how “He (God) planned to bring all of history to its goal in Christ. Then Christ would be the head of everything in heaven and on earth.”  And following in verse twelve he explains that “He (God) planned all of this so that we who had already focused our hope on Christ would praise him and give him glory.” (both verses- God’s Word ©)  Once again, we find that the word translated “hope” comes from a combination of two words meaning “to put in front of and to expect.” (Thayer’s) Therefore this verse could more accurately be stated as “we who had already focused our expectations on Christ…”  

When I read this verse, I had to stop and shout out (startling the dog sleeping on the couch behind me) “That’s It!”  And the thought that immediately popped into my mind was that Paul was giving us a huge hint by declaring that we who have already placed our expectations in Christ will therefore already be focused on the answer and not be caught “Flat-Footed” when sudden trials and tribulations encroach upon our lives! 

It was like the light suddenly went on!  The blank looks, the uncomfortable quiet in the room when Piper and I came in and the intellectualization of almost everything I explained to them concerning Piper’s situation now made sense to me.  They were caught “Flat-Footed” when the unexpected news was announced!

For Piper and I there was absolutely no hesitation when the bad reports came in.  We simply handed it over to the Lord, shifted into a lower gear (sort-of-speak) and prepared ourselves for the slow but steady grade that we were facing… with a high expectancy of the directions, resolutions, assistance and peace that He promised us in His Word… which instantly reminded me of the time in the early 1980’s when we were visiting my sister and her family on the way to a camping vacation in our new Datsun pickup and tent trailer. 

They lived in a country setting, down a narrow road to their home.  Well… getting to the house and backing down into their driveway was no problem, but the next day when we tried to leave, my little truck didn’t seem to have the guts to pull the trailer up the steep driveway!  But after a little discussion with Piper, we simply flipped the hubs, putting the truck into 4-wheel drive, down-shifted and “Walla!” we had the extra power and torque to do the job!  

We weren’t caught flat-footed because we had thought ahead and ordered the truck with the 4-wheel drive option because we wanted to do some off roading and also figured that the all-wheel drive could help in tight spots… especially with the small engines that were only available in the truck at that time!  Our pre-planning and extra expense paid off! 

In the spiritual realm, we had also done our home-work through the years by taking the time and effort to regularly fill ourselves up with the Word of God on a daily basis… and it also didn’t hurt that we had just spent three years in a very condensed time of study in the Word through Bible College and the school’s home church that we were involved with.  Another way to think of it was that we had a full tank of gas and were ready for the long trip ahead of us.  Unfortunately for some, they were caught with an empty tank and got left behind as we moved forward in our difficult adventure in faith. 

Psalm 119:18 tells us that there are miracles and wonders hidden in the Word of God when the Psalmist prayed saying, “Open my eyes to see the miracle-wonders hidden in your word.” (The Passion Translation)  In verse 162 of the same Psalm the writer likens the Word to the discovery of hidden treasure declaring, “Your promises are the source of my bubbling joy; the revelation of your word thrills me like one who has discovered hidden treasure.” (TPT)  

I have to admit that I still look forward with a joyful expectancy to what I am going to learn each day when I sit down to study my Bible.  I normally end up with a page (or more) of notes, in various colors of ink, that fill up just about every open spot on the page!  Then when I review my notes throughout the day, I have to turn my notebook around in circles in order to read all the lines of thought! 

I guess that the bottom line for me… is that I don’t like to be caught “Flat-Footed!”  I like to do my research before I step out and do almost anything.  Just like I did with Piper’s condition or when I purchased the new house last year and even recently with the new electric shaver I bought myself for my birthday… and if I do it for those things… then I’m most certainly going to do it when it comes to living my life! 

What about you?  What kinds of research do you like to do?  And when it comes to spiritual things, are you just as well versed as in the daily activities of life?  Or let me put it this way… Are your tanks empty or full?  How far will your reserves take you? 

Have a great new week, and as you do… keep expecting God’s best for your life!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.