Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, October 2, 2020

To BELIEVE or not to BELIEVE?

Welcome to October.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but yet I was when the weather apps on my phone starting sending out alerts concerning the cooler temperatures and the outlook for upcoming winter storms.  I will admit though, that I am thoroughly enjoying the cooler days in our neck of the woods out here in Oklahoma.  I also realized that I am enjoying having a smaller backyard.  Yesterday afternoon I simply sat on the grass in the middle of the yard and tossed balls to Fiver!  He’d chase the ball, bring it back and then interact with me as I tried to take it from him, rub his tummy, laugh a lot and then toss it again.  I honestly can’t remember the last time I sat down on the grass in my yard.

Both yesterday and today, I found myself thinking that it always amazes me how many people’s first reactions to a startling event in life, is one of fear, negativity or is defined through the eyes of their own resources.  Piper and I saw a lot of those responses throughout our lives and especially during our journey with the attack of Alzheimer’s on her brain.  I didn’t realize it at first, but by the time Piper, our two youngest children and I crossed the California border near Lake Havasu City, Arizona on our way home from our three-year stay in Oklahoma where we attended Bible College, our determination was set in flint. (See Isaiah 50:7)

Our entire focus was centered upon our unshakeable trust in God and His Word.  It was just who we were, the direction we were headed in and the state of mind that filtered every word we spoke, every action we took, and every thought we considered.  What really surprised me was when others around us didn’t respond the way we did!  Looking back now, I probably should have been more understanding, but I was so focused on Piper’s needs, desperately trying to balance everything happening in our lives and on our single minded faith in God, that I didn’t have a lot of time to coddle others who believed differently than us… and many times… gave us very confusing advice.

This morning I turned in my Bible to the book of Ephesians 1:18-21 and read where the Apostle Paul is praying for us, asking that:

“The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power.  Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places.  Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.” (KJV) 

What immediately caught my attention as I read this was Paul’s initial statement praying “that ye may KNOW…” amongst other things, “the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who BELIEVE…”  When I looked up the Greek word translated “KNOW” I discovered that it is not the same word that Paul used to express the kind of personal and very intimate knowing of the love that Jesus has toward each of us as found in Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 3:19.  Again, that kind of knowledge is something that is very personal and intimate between an individual and Jesus Himself.

Oppositely, the KNOWING that is described in Ephesians 1:18 speaks of a very public demonstration of the power of God in our midst.  According to Thayer’s, this word means “to see with the eyes, to perceive, notice, discern, discover and to experience!”  In plain English, Paul is saying that God WANTS us to see and experience His power in our lives on a regular basis… but there is also a very important stipulation included in this desire of God’s for us.  After telling us about God’s power, Paul clearly states that it is all dependent on our personal ability, desire and decision to BELIEVE in His power.  He tells us about “the surpassing greatness of His power to-ward us WHO BELIEVE!”

The Passion Translation says that “God’s power is made available to you through faith.”  And according to the Biblical definition of Faith, Hebrews 11:1 declares that “Faith assures us of things we expect…” (God’s Word ©)  If we don’t BELIEVE it then we can’t EXPECT it… and if we can’t EXPECT it… well, then we don’t have the FAITH to see and/or experience the POWER of God working in us, for us and through us unto others.

It’s a little on the funny side (at least to me) when I see these promises of God adversely working in different Christian Churches that state in their tenets of faith, that they believe that the gifts of the Spirit and/or the miracles of God ended with the death of the last Apostle (which is totally un-Biblical). The truth of God’s Word works, in that they don’t see miracles because they publicly declare that they DON’T BELIEVE in seeing the power of God… SO IT DOESN’T HAPPEN FOR THEM!  Now that may seem harsh… but in reality, it’s just another sign, as I like to say it, that God’s Word works!  It works when you believe it… and it doesn’t work when you don’t!

This may be a lot for some to chew on… So, I’ll stop here and maybe say a little bit more on this subject next week.  But until then, let me encourage you to BELIEVE in the promises of God working for you and through you!  Romans 10:17 tell us, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (KJV)  So… The more time you spend reading and studying the Word of God, the more your faith grows, the more your knowledge of the will of God for you increases and therefore the more you know to believe for, to ask for, and to receive in your daily life! 

And remember that Philippians 4:19 says that, “my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (KJV)  Let me ask you then… Just HOW MUCH of ALL do you BELIEVE that He can supply for you? 

Have a great weekend, and keep EXPECTING for what you BELIEVE in God’s Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.