Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, October 30, 2020

STUFF YOURSELVES!

For as long as I can remember, I have been a people watcher.  I tend to be outgoing when in public places and will freely smile and attempt to start up a conversation with most anyone.  This trait of mine definitely increased when Piper began to lose her ability to talk.  Maybe it was because I felt like I needed to talk for the both of us, or to protect her from the strange looks and weird comments that we would occasionally get from people who became uncomfortable when observing her growing list of disabilities.

This morning as I went shopping at my local Super Walmart it was no different.  Since wearing a mask makes it difficult for others to see anyone’s smile, I’ll tend to make some other kinds of contact with my fellow shoppers with a nod of my head, a little joke or a simple hello.  As I was walking out of the store at the end my shopping run, I noticed an attractive women paying for her purchases at the last register, thought “Hummm” and then almost immediately proceeded to be hit with waves of anxiousness that come over me every time I have a fleeting thought of being with any other woman but my sweet deceased wife.

But before I could take any action based on those thoughts… within a matter of two steps, I found myself flooded with peace and thinking about Philippians 4:6 where the Apostle Paul encouraged his readers to “be anxious for nothing…” (NASB)  I have to admit that I have NEVER had something like that happen to me in the middle of a crowded store before.  The feeling was so real and so utterly refreshing that I had to physically stop in order to enjoy His peace that seemed to cover me from head to toe!  And… I don’t know if I said it out loud or to myself, but I couldn’t help but declare with great revelation as well as relief that “I DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING… I DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A THING!”

I had spent some time yesterday studying a familiar portion of scripture in the Old Testament book of Nehemiah where the group of Israelites sent to repair the wall around the city of Jerusalem, were overcome with sorrow at the sight of the destruction of their beloved city.  As the workers began to let their emotions take over, their leader Nehemiah and the Ezra the priest quickly stood tall and encouraged the people saying: Hold your peace, for the day is holy; and do not fall down!” (Nehemiah 8:11 - combined KJV & ABP+) 

When I finally got my feet to move forward again, I thought about this particular verse while I traversed across the parking lot to my car.  In the Greek translation of the Old Testament, the phrase “Hold your peace” is described as a command “to keep an involuntary silence.” (Strong’s) And that is exactly what had happened to me seconds before in the store, as well as with every time I felt overwhelmed in caring for Piper and was tempted to complain and/or feel sorry for myself.  In those moments, it was like I just couldn’t speak the negative words… or that the Lord, within that small still voice on the inside of me, would instantly refocus my straying thoughts back onto the truth of His Word!  It seemed that every time I started to allow myself “to fall down,” He would sweep in and rescue me before I said or did something that I would later regret!

Without any rhythm or reason, I got up this morning with the Biblical words of “O taste and see that the Lord is good” playing like an endless loop through my brain.  Since I was unable to recall the exact Biblical address of the verse, I went right into my study (after putting on the coffee, of course!) and ran a scripture search on my Bible Study program using the words, “O taste and see”  Well, the only verse that popped up was the right one found in Psalm 34:8 where the Psalmist passionately  proclaimed, “O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.” (KJV) 

The word “taste” implies not only the flavor of something pleasing to the palate, but also “to perceive or to take in nourishment.” (Thayer’s)  Other translations tell us to drink deeply (The Passion Translation), “to Discover” (CEV), or “to find out for yourself how good the Lord is” (GNB)  In defining this verse, the renown English Preacher Charles Spurgeon explained that we are directed to “make a trial, an inward, experimental trial of the goodness of God. (for) You cannot see except by tasting for yourself; but if you taste you shall see, for this, like Jonathan's honey, enlightens the eyes.” (The Treasury of David)

In my uncluttered way of thinking, this verse is simply saying, “the more we take in of God’s Word… the more we’ll want!”  It reminds me of my new experience with the Weight Watchers diet program.  I like it and have lost ten pounds so far… but it has taught me a little bit about self-control.  While I get more than enough points per day… If I want to keep losing weight, I cannot allow myself to go over my prescribed daily points… even or especially when I’m eating some of my favorite meals like the spaghetti, I made last night.  I have to learn to be satisfied with what is on my plate.

But NOT SO when one sit’s down to a feast of God’s Word. (See Psalm 23:5 and Psalm 91:15)  This is one meal where you can eat all that you want… and then go back for seconds and even thirds!   This is one dining experience where you WANT to put on a lot of spiritual weight… and the more you eat, the more you want to eat… for it’s a good thing to be a heavyweight with the Word of God.  It is the nourishment that your life thrives on and is the strength you need to sustain “involuntary silence” when anxiety knock on your door… just like what happened to me at Walmart this morning!

I’ll end this post and lead you into the weekend with the immortal words of Errol Flynn in the 1938 movie version of “Robin Hood” when he defiantly shouted to his merry men, “To the tables, everybody, and stuff yourselves!" 

Believe-you-me… this is one daily meal that I don’t want to miss!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.