Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, October 5, 2020

Continuing!

I just read that today is World Teacher’s Day and I would have to say without a moment’s hesitation… that my favorite teacher was our children’s Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle School and High School teacher… who just happened to be my talented wife and our kids Mom… Piper! 

Like I’ve said on many occasions, homeschooling wasn’t just something for Piper to do, it was her passion!  She loved just about every moment of it, put in countless hours of study, research and preparation and was very protective of their daily time and schedule.  I remember back in the late 1990’s when I was working a four day week, ten-plus hours a day schedule during a busy season at Agilent Technologies, where I worked as a production supervisor.  I had the flexibility with the shift to take either Friday’s or Monday’s off and actually preferred to take Mondays due to my strenuous weekend schedule at the church in which we were serving as Assistant Pastors.

Well, that lasted about three weeks when Piper took me aside one day and said that she would prefer that I take Fridays off instead of Mondays… because I messed up their beginning of the week school schedule!  She went on to patiently explain that all I wanted to do was take it easy and play on my day off… and it completely interrupted their school schedule… whereas on Friday’s they were winding down for the week and could handle my intrusions… so guess which day I (mostly) took off

I was watching a Hallmark movie last night when at the end, a young couple is shown playing guitars and singing a song together on stage, in front of an audience.  It immediately reminded me of a picture that I have of the first time that Piper and I sang together with my high school rock band at a New Year’s party that was held at one of the members of our Youth group’s home in 1970. 

Well, I happened to have the picture album nearby and I opened it up to the large black and white photo… and immediately started to cry.  Let’s just say that it brought back a flood of happy memories!  Then this morning, as I walked by the coffee table and glanced down at the photo that I had left out last night, I began to think once again, of memories of Piper and I… except that this morning… I was reminded of memories on the other end of our relationship.

In my mind’s eye I was brought back to the morning that she left this world.  It had been a long night that I mostly spent sitting on the floor in front of her, holding her hands and looking deeply into her eyes while telling her how much I loved her, regaled her with funny and poignant stories from our past and did my best to comfort her as her breathing had been getting increasingly more difficult for her.  I had only slept for a half hour that night during which time she passed, but I believe it was God’s and her perfect timing.

I actually thought that she had died at least three times during the previous week, only to see her chest slowly rise again after a prolonged time of stillness.  I have come to find out that she most likely did leave this realm for quick sneak peeks into her new home in heaven.  Having since read many books on heaven and people’s near-death experiences, I’ve learned that it is actually pretty common for dying individuals to see glimpses of heaven previous to their final departure.

Later on that morning, after the Hospice nurse had left and the mortuary attendants had taken away her earthly shell, I clearly remember walking into the dining room on my way to the backyard to call a dear friend, when I stopped at the table, closed my eyes and whispered… “Well now Piper, I promise to be strong for you.”  And, it was uncanny that as I then moved on through the room and out onto the back deck, that I suddenly and unmistakably heard Piper’s voice in my head softly saying to me, “No Jim, now I need you to be strong for you!”

Then a few weeks after her passing, after all of our kids had left and gone back to their regular lives out-of-state, I sat down in one of our La-Z-Boy recliners next to a living room window that looked out onto our front porch and began to pray and study my Bible, when the word “CONTINUE” popped into my head.   For some reason it sounded important and I began to spend a fair amount of time thinking about and asking the Lord for clarification.

I came to find out… that for me… it is very important to see my new life today without Piper, not as “MOVING ON” from what was, to what’s ahead but, in many respects as a “CONTINUANCE” to the life that we lived as a couple strongly anchored with a foundation in the Word of God.  It is not that I am moving away from the large portion of my life that included Piper, but that I am CONTINUING on with the strong foundation that has been built up in me that was influenced largely by that sweet, freckle faced, vibrant, encouraging and spiritually discerning young lady that I spent 48 close and most special years with.

It is CONTINUING on with the specific lifestyle that we built together, by my “continuing to advance in faith, assured of a firm foundation to grow upon and to never allow myself to be shaken from the EXPECTATIONS of the gospel that we had believed in.” (Colossians1:23 The Passion Translation – personalized)  As I studied on this subject once again this morning, I was amazed to discover how many times the Apostles Peter, Paul and John talk about the importance of we believers following this course of action in our lives.  Throughout each of their writings they extoll the importance of CONSISTENCY in our personal growth and the CONTINUANCE of our faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I talked to a lady at the grocery store the other day who had lost her husband six years ago and was still struggling with grief… and realized that although I believe that I am doing well, that I still have a long way to go in adjusting to this new chapter of my life.  Hopefully, I comforted the lady as I shared how my faith has helped me through my personal loss and pain.

Well… this post has gone a totally different direction than I originally planned, but I am a firm believer in following the flow of the Holy Ghost!  Hopefully it is a blessing to someone who reads this today!

I guess that if I was to leave you with a final thought, that it would be of the importance of NEVER allowing your EXPECTATIONS in the truth of God and His Word to grow dull, but instead to CONTINUE sharpening your love, knowledge, understanding and commitment to it! 

I have seen God’s Word come true in too many seemingly impossible situations to allow my earnest EXPECTATIONS in Him to fail me now!  And if you should have any doubt arise… just remember that Jesus Himself gave us His word on the subject saying, "As far as possibilities go, everything is possible for the person who believes."  (Mark 9:23 God’s Word ©).

I hope you have a spectacular week... and keep CONTINUING to CONTINUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.