Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 26, 2018

Shower Studies...


I’ve been getting some meaningful revelations in the shower lately.  Maybe I should see if I can find a waterproof Bible and do my morning Bible studies as the hot water beats down on my neck and shoulders!  Since my wife’s passing, long showers have become quite the luxury for me! 



You see, she had a seizure one morning about seven years ago just as I was stepping out of the upstairs walk-in shower in our home back in California.  As soon as I heard what was happening with her, I grabbed a towel and ran downstairs to the bedroom we had recently moved into as she couldn’t maneuver the stairs anymore that led up to the large master bedroom/loft.  When the seizure seemed to be going on for longer than usual, I called 911 and knelt next to the bed attempting to calm Piper while I discussed the on-going situation with the emergency dispatcher. 



When everything finally subsided, I took a deep breath and noticed for the first time that I had lost the towel somewhere on the stairs and had been ministering to Piper and following the dispatcher’s instructions with nothing on!  And even though it had been a really intense time, I suddenly burst out laughing when I realized that the firetruck and ambulance would be arriving at any moment and that I was not very appropriately attired!  So, without revealing too much detail to the dispatcher, I informed her that I probably should hang up now that Piper seemed to be coming out of it and get dressed before the emergency personnel arrived! 



Following that event I started taking showers at night after Piper had gone to bed and was never in the water for more than just a couple of quick moments!  Therefore, the longer showers now have been a God-sent to me and they have allowed me to listen to Him while the hot water loosens my tight morning muscles!  I would have never imagined how much emotional stress can make every joint in one’s body ache!



In the steam this morning, I thought more about “validation” and realized that God validated me at the very beginning of Piper’s and my long journey with her health needs.  In Psalm 37:6 God tells us that “He'll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon.” (MSG)  As I relaxed under the pressure of the hot water, I could see that my first validation was actually at night rather than under “the clear light of day,” but I’m pretty sure that the time of day does not invalidate the scripture Never-the-less, when it occurred back in 2007, I had literally run out to the covered soils storage racks at the back of the garden department of the South Tulsa Home Depot where I was working in order to get my emotions under control, since I had just received the phone call giving me the initial reports of Piper’s original brain scans.   



As I relived that moment, I could see that I wasn’t afraid or confused but instead confident and full of expectation that God and His Word would work for us.  The emotions that were splashing all over my dirty orange apron were a result of my compassion and love for the most important person in my life!



I understood this morning that God trusted me back then to seek out and obey whatever directions He would give to me for the care of my Piper’s needs… even though we had absolutely NO idea of what was ahead.  As the situation unfolded and decisions were needed to be made and/or action was needed to be taken… like ministering to Piper in times of emergency as per the seizure incident I mentioned above  we just did whatever was required without much hesitation or question.



Over the last couple of months since Piper’s passing, I have had some time to contemplate our experiences and cringe at the thought of the many times where it was simply a day to day existence and that I hardly ever knew what was going to happen the next day!  To be perfectly honest… I am not sure how I made it through all of it… but you know?  With God’s help I did!  I guess that I kinda proved the validity of His verse in Philippians 4:13 where the Apostle Paul said that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (MKJV) 



I also realized that I am in a very similar place today!  Like I keep saying… that while I may have absolutely NO idea of what God’s plans and purposes are for me now… what I do know, is that He continues to give me His validation for my future!  And that is good enough for me!



What about you and your future?



Have a wonderful new week as we officially enter into the 2018 Christmas Holiday Season, and as you do, say with me… “I am fully expecting God’s validation on my life as I seek Him and then follow what He has to say!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.