Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Defeated and Disarmed!


The last few days have definitely been days of surprises for me.  First it was the painful revelation that Piper knew and was quietly struggling with the changes that were beginning to surface in her mind a few years before we really started talking about it.  I came across a confession prayer that she had written back in 2002 and placed in her Bible where she was, among other things, claiming back her ability to “assimilate and associate information quickly and accurately.”  Back then we were all aware that she was having a little difficulty sometimes “finding the right word” but all medical evidence pointed to symptoms of menopause. I had no idea then of what she must have been dealing with.  



Today I was continuing to study Joshua 1:9 where the Lord reminded Moses’ newly appointed successor, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (ESV)  As is my custom, I did a word study on some of the expressions that stood out to me and found out that the term “courageous” translated in the King James Version as “of a good courage” means to “be alert (physically, mentally and spiritually), to be bold, secure, and or obstinate.” (Strong’s, Brown-Driver-Briggs)



According to the Oxford Online Dictionary, to be “obstinate” means “to stubbornly refuse one’s chosen course of action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so.”  That definition gave me the first jolt of surprise this morning… but I’ll get back to that in a moment!



Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Definitions tells us that to be “dismayed” is “to be shattered, broken, scared or to be abolished.”  Dictionary.com states the definition of “abolished” as “to do away with; to put an end to, or to make void.” 



Well, that’s where things got interesting to me!  As I studied this verse, I was immediately drawn back in my mind’s eye, to the beginning stages of our stand of faith for the reclamation of Piper’s health and of our obedience to the course that we firmly believed that the Lord wanted us to follow.  In many ways I felt that we had a lot in common with Joshua, as he also began his personal journey of faith in leading God’s chosen people to the destination that the Lord had planned for them.



In thinking about the various events that occurred in those first few years, I realized that we went through some pretty tough times while the Lord set things in motion for us.  Looking back now, I can readily see that I was pretty obstinate when it came to pursuing God’s plan in the face of quite a bit of disagreement from others. 



I had a client with our yard care business during that period that would tend to come out and talk to me as I worked on the various projects around her property.  She was an old family friend and was aware of many of the difficulties that we were facing.  She once told me that I was “a plodder,” explaining that once I got a sense of direction, that I just kept “plodding along” to the prescribed finish… no matter what or who tried to upend me… I always took that as a compliment… I hope she meant it to be!



But let’s look at another definition.  According to the Hebrew dictionaries, when the Lord was encouraging Joshua to not be “dismayed,” He was pre-warning him to not allow himself to “be shattered, broken or seared…” and not to give in to anyone’s attempts to “abolish” His plans for Joshua and the Israelites.  Dictionary.com informs us that in modern usage to “abolish” something means “to do away with, to put an end to, or to make void.”



Then it hit me like a brick and in an instant, I saw the malicious trickery and deception of the enemy of our souls!  It became pretty clear, pretty quickly, that in the early years of our burgeoning stand of faith for my wife’s life the devil did his best to abolish our stand of faith, void the loving atmosphere and memories of our children’s childhood, and put an end to our parental influences with our kids and the respect that they gave to Piper and I.  Let’s face it… he was trying to knock our feet out from under us!



That same client and family friend I mentioned previously also told me when discussing extended family relations, that she thought that I was naive in certain situations.  And of course, I disagreed with her at the time… but since then have learned that I NEVER would have expected some of the things said and done.  At the time I knew these things we’re incorrect but did not understand the full scope of what was attempting to be done toward Piper and I.  And to be honest, I don’t think the individuals in question did either… but the devil can be quite deceptive in his maneuvering. (See: Revelation 12:9)  I just knew that Piper and I were trusting in the Word and what we believed God’s plans for us were… and that NOTHING was going to bump us off course.  That’s where the “obstinate” part of me kicked in… in high gear!



In fact, in many ways, I’m thankful for the persecution because it made me dig in deeper to God’s Word and become stronger and firm in my faith!  I’ve often heard said, and now firmly agree, that great victories only come through great battles! 



So, what’s my point?  When you enter into a stand of faith… just about any stand of faith, “Keep your mind clear, and be alert. (for) Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour.” I Peter 5:8 (God’s Word ©)  And believe me… he’ll use any unsuspecting individual that he can influence with his lies, or partial truths.



Piper and I learned many lessons in life the hard way… but at least I believe that we did learn the lessons… well most of them!  One of Piper’s favorite sayings about the devil was that “Jesus defeated and disarmed him!”  I fondly recall the many times she taught that lesson to our Children’s Church classes throughout the years.  She was a pretty decent artist and would draw and then cut out a figure of the devil on a large sheet of paper.  Then she would dramatically tear off the arms and feet of the character while teaching the class… and the kids would always ooh and ahh at her flamboyancy!  



So now, because you are more alert to the tactics of the enemy, be ready like my lovely and spunky wife… to shout the truth out… that because of Jesus’ finished work of the cross that the devil has already been defeated and disarmed and therefore… cannot come against you!  Praise the Lord!



Have a great weekend, and as you do, say with me, “I am expecting to walk victoriously in the face of the attacks of the enemy today because he’s been defeated and disarmed and cannot touch me!”      (ah… I bet that felt good!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.