Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Stand Down!



I awoke this morning with an array of thoughts running rampant through my mind… and not all of them were positive!  So I immediately stepped into my scripture confession mode in order to quell those negative pictures.  But you know… it really didn’t help!  When I stepped into the dining room a few moments later though, I suddenly heard the words coming up from deep inside saying: “Tell your flesh to ‘Stand Down!’”

My first thought was of some military or police program on TV where the leader commands his men to “Stand Down,” and I smiled at the thought: “What am I a movie character now!”  But then I was reminded of the Apostle Paul as he told the Corinthian’s that “I keep under my body, and bring IT into subjection…” (I Corinthians 9:27 KJV)  In modern vernacular he was telling his body, his flesh, the man on the outside to “Stand Down!”

Paul makes it clear that his body is now under the control of his reborn spirit man on the inside.  He also makes it clear that his outward man, his body, is not the real Paul anymore.  Notice that he declares that “I… bring IT into subjection.”  He doesn’t say that I bring “Me” into subjection!  In Romans 8:12 he teaches his followers: “Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.” (KJV)  Then he continues to explain: “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify, the deeds of the body, ye shall live.  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons (and daughters) of God.” (Romans 8:13-14 KJV)

So I did what I was told to do and commanded my flesh driven thoughts to stand down… and they subsided!  But a few minutes later I had another opportunity to reinforce my directions to my flesh!  When I went back into the bedroom and was helping my wife to get ready for the day, things did not work as smoothly as they usually do.  Somehow I got some of her clothes in a twist and was having a difficult time getting them into the proper positioning on her!

And to make matters worse, I was getting physically hot through all the close contact with her as well as with the dog pressing in at our feet and I began to sweat… a lot!  That caused me to get a little irritated and frustrated and it began to accentuate the problem.  Then I heard it again: “Tell your flesh to ‘Stand Down!’”

So  I immediately paused in mid-action, commanded my flesh to “Stand Down” and quickly felt His peace come into the midst of all the action.  Then I was miraculously able to find a handle (sort of say…) on her clothes and slide them perfectly into place!  And with that I gently placed her in her chair and sat on the floor in front of her for a few moments while I caught my breath, thought about what had just happened, and wiped the sweat off my neck!  (Oh yeah… and pushed back the dog who was trying his best to help cool me off by licking my arms!)

When I rolled Piper into the dining room I had to giggle a little as I declared one of our family’s favorite saying when it comes to the things of God… “Gee, this stuff really works!
And that would be my encouragement to each of you today!  Do what His Word instructs you to do and then proclaim in thanksgiving: “Gee, this stuff really works!”  When we don’t allow the pressures and directives of the world and/or the flesh to guide and dominate us, but instead continually be led by the Spirit of God inside us (ie; the REAL you and me!), we will see victory EVERY time!

So go forth with that in mind today!  Know and Act as the real man or women on the inside and allow His power to work in, for and through you to others today!  Have a great day, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Which part of me am I expecting to take the lead over my flesh today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.