Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 5, 2016

Opportunity!



As I sat on the edge of my bed early this morning and shared our twice daily confession scriptures with Piper, a sudden movement outside our bedroom window caught my attention.  When I glanced across the expanse of lawn and up into the canopy of green leaves that seems to emerge as a non-stop barrier with the trees that line the forested area next to our home, I spotted two beautiful bright red Cardinals fluttering from branch to branch and from tree to tree.  It was such a peaceful sight as they looked like they didn’t have a care in the world and were simply enjoying a time of frolic just as the morning sunlight came over the trees across the street and began to shine on their playground!  

The activity that was unfolding out on our side yard gave me a boost of faith as I spoke the Word over Piper.  As I thought about the joy, the light and the carefree attitude of God’s creations, I gained a greater appreciation for the joy, the light and the positive attitude that I gain when I confess the power infused and purpose driven excellence of God’s Word to my lovely wife in her time of need.  And you know what?  It just got me excited and joyfully expectant of what He is doing in, for and through Piper and I today!

I got even more excited as I opened up my Bible study program and read from Psalm 118:22-24 a little later in the morning after I had helped Piper up for the day.  For here the Psalmist writes:  “The stone which the builders rejected is become the chief cornerstone.  This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.  This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will (to) rejoice and be glad in it.” (Jewish Publication Society Bible)  Understanding the 24th verse within the full context of its meaning, opened up the realization to me that this portion of scripture is not just talking about today alone, but about the entire Gospel/Church Age!  So it is not only encouraging us to rejoice in the current calendar day, but in everyday of our lives!

Adam Clarke in his commentary on this verse talked about this day being the celebration of Christ’s victory and is “anointed for the purpose of (this) triumph. (For) This is a genuine opportunity.”  In other words… this is a special season of opportunity for the church… for you and me as well as every other Christian!  It means that every new day is another opportunity to be a part of what Papa God wants to do in, for and through you.  Now if that reality doesn’t cause you to have an attitude of joy, thanksgiving and expectation, then you’d better check to see if you have a pulse!

Dictionary.com defines “opportunity” as “1) an appropriate or favorable time or occasion, 2) a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal and 3) a good position, chance or prospect, as for advancement or success.”  If you think about that first thing every morning I would think that you couldn’t help but “rejoice and be glad!”  That truth should empower you to both begin and end your day with a smile of expectation upon your face.

That powerful word should also have the effect of superimposing itself over whatever negative situations might be trying to steal your peace and concentration!  It will cause you to smile when everyone else around you is wearing a frown.

So kick back and enjoy Labor Day today (in the US and Canada) and even though it is considered the unofficial end of the summer season, we still get to celebrate the season of the Gospel and look forward to the opportunities that He continues to present before us!

Piper and I pray that you are having a terrific holiday today and look forward with a sense of joy, thanksgiving and expectation as to the stories you’ll be sharing concerning the opportunities that you took advantage of for Him… every day this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.