Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 29, 2013

Tainted Love

Over the weekend as I was finishing my current study in the book of Ephesians, I came down to the very last verse and instantaneously had the phrase “tainted love” pop into my head.  The scripture reads: “His favor (or grace) is with everyone who has an undying love for our Lord Jesus Christ.”  (Ephesians 6:24 God’s Word ©)  Vincent’s Word Studies says that this verse is more accurately translated: “who love Christ with an imperishable and incorruptible love.”

While I reflected on that phrase in correlation to the verse, I found myself writing down this statement in my notes: “Don’t let your love for Him get corrupted or tainted or watered-down through affections toward worldly things that can become idols to you.”  Then I thought of all the potential “idols” that could taint my love for Christ.  The most prevalent at this time being my wife!  Huh… you say?  Well with my wife’s current battle for her health, it can become very easy for me to focus all my attention on her, getting her well, on our wonderful past, and on feeling sorry for myself due to the void I feel inside of me.
But God’s Word makes it very clear that it is of utmost importance for me to keep my eyes fully focus on Jesus, for His grace will not only be more than sufficient for me, but also provide the strength for me to carry on and see Him work His miraculous ways in my wife body!
For others there may be the temptation to put their focus on their bank account, in their diet, in their social lives, in their jobs, their families, or in the daily news.  No matter what it may be, if it pulls the eyes of your faith off of the solid foundation of God’s Word then you are running the risk of corrupting or tainting your love for our heavenly Father.  According to our verse, once that love becomes tainted His favor that precedes and surrounds you could begin to dissipate.
So what will it be?  The favor or grace of God working non-stop in your life, or living a sort of hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t existence?  Well, that answer should be easy!  I choose to stay focused on Him and let everything else take a secondary role in my life.  What do you think?  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What FAVOR am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.