Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A New Attitude!

In Ephesians chapter four the Apostle Paul spends some time talking about the way his readers looked at things before they became Christians and then made a statement that caused me snap to attention!  He declared: “However, you were taught to have a new attitude.” (Ephesians 4:23 God’s Word ©)  A new attitude?  What new attitude?… about what? …when and where?

As I stared through the wall in front of me, my mind was awash with a myriad of thoughts and ideas about what I had just read and the questions that were bouncing around in my head!  But the answers came quickly.  Philippians 2:5 tells us that we are to “have the same attitude that Christ Jesus has.” (God’s Word ©)  His attitude is one of love, joy, peace and forgiveness, all heavily seasoned with grace.  It is how He observed the world he lived in when He walked on the earth some 2000 years ago, and it is still how He observes the world from His current position sitting at the right hand of God!
It is a positive attitude that is firmly entrenched in an unyielding trust in the truth and promises of God’s Word.  It is a new attitude that our heavenly Father expects us to radiate wherever we go.  At one point in his letter to the church in Galatia, Paul chides the people asking them, “What happened to your positive attitude?” (Galatians 4:15 God’s Word ©) The church there had false teachers come in and distort the message he had brought to them.  This had caused confusion and led to a noticeable decline in the positive attitude they had come to be known for.  I’m sure that their change in attitude was not only noticeable in the church but also extended into their community!
The Holy Spirit through Paul is telling us that we are to walk – 24/7- in the new attitude that the Good News teaches us.  The recognition of this attitude is very real to me on a daily basis.  I have painfully learned the importance of keeping up this positive attitude when it comes to our stand on God’s Word concerning my wife’s total and complete healing.  It is something that I deal with every day.
I have learned over the last four years that there are certain places to avoid and people (both Christian or not, certain family and friends) that my wife and I do not need to spend much time around because of their negative and fearful attitudes.  At this point in time I believe that we need to be around those who will be in faith, standing alongside us as we trust in God’s Word for her recovery.
I was very encouraged the other day as I was walking my wife in her transport chair around our neighborhood.  As we came around a bend I noticed an older gentleman standing on the sidewalk talking on his cell phone.  It is always a little humorous for me to observe the different people’s reaction as we walk by them.  Some completely ignore us by looking the other way, most will smile and say or nod “hello,” while a few will actually engage in a conversation.  But even those who I talk with will not usually look at or acknowledge Piper.  (Except for kids!  They openly stare at her and some will talk to her while their Mom’s attempt to pull them away!)
As we neared this gentleman, whose back was to us, he quickly stepped out of our way and onto the lawn.  When we came along side he put the phone down and began to talk with us as he bent over to pet our wiggling dog!  Then after a few moments he looked up at Piper and said something like: “And who is this lovely young lady?”  I immediately introduced her and as we talked he asked what was going on with her to which I briefly explained about the early onset of Alzheimer’s and quickly added that we are not giving up because we believe in the God of miracles.  Well, this guy didn’t blink an eye when I said that.  He smiled and agreed whole-heartedly with us!  Come to find out that he is a devout Catholic who attends daily Mass and firmly believes in the miraculous nature of God to heal His people.  I have to tell you that I don’t think my feet touched the ground for the rest of our walk that day!  His positive attitude, mixed with ours was like a cool drink of Gatorade on a hot and humid Oklahoma summer day!
Then yesterday I received a visit from two Christian friends who spent an hour or so with Piper and I, encouraging us with their positive attitudes and firm belief in God’s healing hand working in Piper’s body.  What a blessing!  Their positive attitudes made my day!  In fact just writing about it now continues to encourage me!  That is the kind of God based, loving, joyful, peaceful and encouraging attitude that He wants us to embrace and allow to ooze over all those that we come into contact with wherever we go in our daily lives!
How is your attitude today?  Is it positively set in and on the goodness of the Lord?  Are you leaving a path of love, joy, peace and encouragement behind you today?  You might just be like that older gentleman that we met along our walk who made my day last week.  And while I understand that it is hard to have a positive attitude all the time, sometimes we just have to “suck it up,” put on a smile and trust the Lord no matter how we might feel.
So have a great day and allow your positive attitude to have a positive effect on someone who desperately needs a pick-me-up today!  Stay in tune to God’s Word, and keep asking yourself… “What – or who - am I expecting to bless with my positive attitude today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.