Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 8, 2013

Walk the Line


“I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
 I keep my eyes wide open all the time
 I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
 Because you’re mine, I walk the line.

 As sure as night is dark and day is light
 I keep you in my mind both day and night
 And happiness I’ve known proves that it’s right
 Because you’re mine, I walk the line” *

They are many thoughts as to the actual meaning behind this Johnny Cash song that he wrote in 1956.  He once stated that it was written soon after his first marriage as a statement of commitment to his bride.  Some have argued that it was really about the struggle with drugs that he waged throughout his career, while others who looked through the eyes of his deep Christian faith, thought that it talked about his constant battle between the two lives that he lived.  One as an entertainer in the world of show business and the other as a Christian.
The song actually does say a lot concerning the life that Christians are to live on this earth.  We really do have to “Walk the Line” every day.  We actually are stuck between the reality of two worlds, the kingdom of God, and the natural one in which we reside.   This dilemma has become quite personal to me over the last three years.  It has caused me to learn another valuable lesson, one that I thought I understood only to find out, when the shoe was on the other foot… that there were a lot of areas in which I found myself at either end of the two extremes of existence.
Back in the late seventies/early ‘80’s I had returned to college with the intent of continuing on to Seminary after I had gained my degree.  In one of my family psychology classes our final assignment was to write an in depth research paper on an alternate life style, followed up with an oral report.  As I had already been a Christian and a Youth Minister for about five years and my wife was about 8 months pregnant with our first child, I gallantly decided to research and present a well-documented paper defining “The Christian Family as an Alternate Lifestyle.”
Everything was going well as I read many books and papers on the subject from a variety of Christian authors, Pastors and Christian Psychiatrists and counselors.  Feeling well fortified, I wrote and turned in my paper and felt adequately prepared for my upcoming oral presentation before the class until…  the class before my scheduled date to give my report.  At the end of that session the female Professor who was a very well educated instructor, author and Psychologist with an active practice, picked up the assignment sheet and began to read off the names of those who were scheduled to give their reports at the following class.
When she got to my name my heart stopped as she paused, looked up at me and stated, “Oh, I can’t wait to hear your report!”  I just kind of swallowed hard, gave her a shaky smile and nodded my head.  At that point I knew that I would be in for a lively discussion!  In the end, that oral presentation became a foundational part of my determination to raise my family in a way that I believed God’s Word outlines for Christians to successfully “Walk the Line” in their daily lives.  It also helped to me to grow up real fast and learn to trust the Holy Spirit in the midst of the verbal debate when most of the twenty some students in the class readily disagreed with my findings.
During the barrage of questions that I fielded that day, and the conflicting worldly views presented by others, I was able to keep a smile on my face and answer all questions with purpose, backed by statistics and with a heart that demonstrated my unflinching belief in what I was proposing.  I believe that my report in that fairly liberal Psychology Department class opened the eyes of some of my fellow student’s understanding and helped them to see another perspective on life.  After that class I actually ended up developing a pretty good relationship with the instructor and with many of the other students.  I was very disappointed when the instructor left the school the semester before I graduated.
As Christians we daily must “Walk the Line” between our faith in the supernatural assistance of our heavenly Father through the promises in His Word, and the natural reality of the world and its effects in our lives.  Since we have taken a stand for the healing of my wife’s symptoms based on the finished work of the cross, we have experienced people’s reactions from both sides of the line we have chosen to walk.  On one side there have been the loving and sincere Christians who have been so deeply involved in the expectation of the power of God working in healing Piper that they have totally neglected the physical part of the symptoms of the disease and the strain that we face 24/7.  It is almost like they feel that if they acknowledge that part of the situation, that they would be destroying our faith and theirs.

On the other hand, we have also seen those who are so deeply involved in wanting to minister to the physical symptoms of the attack on her health, that they neglect even the possibility of the healing power of God working on my wife’s behalf. 
I have come to believe that there is a perfect balance between the two sides of the line.  The writer of the book of Hebrews alludes to this theory in chapter six, verses 10-12.  In the S. Way translation he talks about how the Lord won’t forget the reader’s “practical Christianity… which you have displayed for His name, nor how you have rendered service to His consecrated ones, and are rendering service still.”  Then he chides them for being “spiritual dullards” and encourages them to “display the same earnestness for the full attainment of all you have a right to hope for till you reach the goal, as you do display in practical religion.”
He was encouraging his readers to “Walk the Line” and be in balance between the two worlds they lived in.  Apparently they were very active and proficient in helping others in their church when they needed physical assistance, but where quite weak in their faith for believing for the attainment of God’s promises that He has provided for them through Jesus.
How successful are you in “Walking the Line” between the two worlds you live in?  Have you discovered the balance in living the successful life that God wants you to live?  I’ve spent my entire adult life ministering to people with needs, but I don’t think I fully understood what many of them were going through, until I have found myself on the other side of the conversation in dealing with the physical realities of life.  I know that I will definitely minister a more balanced Gospel from now on!  Has it changed my basic beliefs and understanding of the supernatural power of God working for us?  Not one bit!  But now I understand that there are better ways to encourage those in need in more of a balanced approach that will better minister to the total needs of the individuals involved.  I guess I’ve learned the hard way to “Walk the Line!”  How about you?  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

* I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash & Rodney Crowell - Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.