Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sudden Change!

February burst on the scene with sneak peak of springtime!  The days here in northern California were fairly warm (high sixties to low seventies), the skies were deep blue, the air was fresh and optimism was running high!  Then in a flash… it was gone!  Yesterday broke overcast and cold and today we awoke to the pitter-pater of rain falling against our bedroom window.  Begrudgingly, I folded up my shorts and retired them back in to the dresser and pulled out my jeans once again.
 
I know that I have nothing to complain about when you compare the weather that we have been having against the snow, ice and rain storms that have been hitting the east coast.  I guess we are kind of spoiled and just expect the warm weather to stick around!  As I sat at the kitchen table this morning, I was staring outside at the wet plants in our patio and began to think about how quick one’s fortunes can change.
 
It’s like our recent weather.  Just when you are getting used to the comfort of the warm, dry days it suddenly changes and the cold and rain appear!  I was actually surprised when I heard the rain this morning as I had thought that it wasn’t supposed to rain for a few more days.  Then I had to chuckle as I remembered that I had diligently covered all our tender plants outside to guard them against the morning frost.  This would be the second time I got caught unaware and had to dry the sheets!
 
Have you ever had that happen in your life?  Have you ever been caught unaware when a sudden change is thrust upon you?  How do you react when these things occur?  Do you shrug it off as part of life, utter a quick “Praise the Lord!” and move on, or do you get caught up in anger or fear?  I John 4:18 declares that “No fear exists where his love is.  Rather, perfect love gets rid of fear…” (God’s Word ©)  I am under the belief that most anger is caused by fear.  Fear that we can’t handle what’s going on, fear that we might lose something, or fear that we’ll be left alone. 
 
I John 4:8 tells us that “God is love” and then verse 17 states that “We are just like him with regard to love.”  (God’s Word ©)  These verses make it pretty clear that we are to walk in love just as He is love.  When we walk in love there is no room for fear to sneak in!  Now I understand that most of us probably would agree with this when it comes to relating to others, but have you taken this truth into consideration when it comes to relating to yourself?
 
The complete rendering of I John 4:8 says “The person who doesn’t love doesn’t know God because God is love.”  (God’s Word)  The interesting part of this verse is that the two words we translate as love are actually two different words.  When John talked about the person who doesn’t love, he was talking about one who doesn’t put love into action.  The word there means “to welcome, to entertain.” (Thayer’s Greek Definitions)  It infers that we “do” something!  The other love in the verse that is associated with God describes who He is.
 
So in other words, we have to “do” love toward others as well as toward ourselves.  If we go back to my original point, we would then come to the conclusion that if we walk in love toward ourselves (trusting God and loving ourselves in the same way that He sees and loves us) then we won’t be afraid of sudden changes.  Instead we will respond to the change with confidence and faith.  We’ll know that we have nothing to fear because we “can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13 NKJV) and that “Jesus has become our wisdom sent from God.” (I Corinthians 1:30 God’s Word ©).  With those two scriptures alone, we can have victory in any situation! 
 
We can know in the face of any change that we have the strength and wisdom available to us to handle it and move on in life.  Fear can have a paralyzing effect on you, but love, His love in us, will set you free and motivate you to go beyond anything you could ever imagine possible before!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… What Wisdom and Strength am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.