Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

I was never so glad as to see the first vestiges of the new morning light as I was today.  My wife had a pretty active night as she had been exhibiting many side effects of the full dose of the new seizure control medicine that she has been on for a few days.  Most of the night was spent with tremors and jerks and needless to say, did not result in anything close to a solid night’s sleep!  I got up numerous times and knelt by her side to check on her and pray, but her eyes were sharp and she was very responsive, so I felt secure that it was just her body adjusting to the new prescription.

As the light began to chase away the shadows of darkness this morning, I felt a surge of expectation and the warmth of God’s love and care filling the room.  Then as my feet hit the floor I was reminded of Psalm 30:5 where the Psalmist declared: “… weeping may endure for a night, but JOY comes in the morning.” (NKJV)  The visible sunlight peeking around the slats on the blinds and the thought of His joy immediately served to burn off the tiredness from the night and re-ignite a sense of purpose in the passion I have for taking care of the woman that I love.
I had a fleeting thought yesterday about that line in our wedding ceremony that talked about “in sickness and in health” and I had to laugh as I recalled a couple of relatives who had the audacity to doubt my resolve to stick with my wife in her time of need.  There never was a question or doubt.  When you love someone, you just do what needs to be done without any thought to one’s own self.  Everything else takes a back seat.
I guess that’s kind of a good thought for Valentine’s Day!  As believers we have the best example of love.  It is found in John 3:16 where Jesus said “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  (NIV)  Our heavenly Father loved us so much that He gave His best.  Then He turned around and put that same love into us. (See Romans 5:5)
So it looks like we really don’t have any excuse except but to love by giving our best to those close to our hearts, especially today!  Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day with that special one.  But don’t stop at today!  Keep giving your best even through the rough and tough times and let His joy come and fill you each and every morning!”  Then with that daily dose of joy, you will find yourself happily asking… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.