Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rest

Today was one of those days that started in slow motion for me!  Have you ever experienced that feeling?  After getting the coffee maker going, I carefully ambled into the study and sat there a little bleary eyed and looked over the jumble of open Bibles and notes on my desk.  The last couple of weeks have been very busy, a little rough emotionally and have drawn a lot of energy from me.  As I sat there at my desk the word “rest” began to filter through my mind.

Last week I had the opportunity to go to my older son’s house for the day to help him move.  I saw this as an opportunity for some fellowship with him and his family, and as a respite from all my activities in the care taking of my wife.  My wife was staying home in the care of a good friend.  While I had a good time with my son though, things did not quite go as planned.  On the way to his house I was involved in a traffic accident.  The car came out of the incident relatively unscathed, but I was a little shook and sore.

That soreness seemed to be in the forefront of my every move today.  After studying for about a half hour I finally rolled out of my chair and laid down on the floor and began to pray.  I have to tell you that it was a very enjoyable and comfortable experience!  I stayed in that position for quite awhile and enjoyed the quiet stillness of the early morning.  Some times it just takes our forcing the issue to stop our “doing” and get still before the Lord.

I am not sure if my actions this morning would meet the classical definition of meditation, but it sure hit the spot as I felt drawn right into the presence of God.  You know it is just a lot easier to hear Him when it is quiet.  It would seem that the noise of activity drowns away the words of wisdom that He longs for us to hear.  Ecclesiastes 9:17 says that “The words of wise men are heard in quiet, more than the cry of one who rules among fools.”  (Literal Translation of the Holy Bible)

My “rest” this morning may not have had the glamour of lodge perched on an ocean cliff, or a fancy hotel with room service and a spa, but it definitely had what it took to make the connection that brings true peace and joy to a sore body and calm and understanding to an emotionally torn thought life.  “This is the day that the LORD has made.  Let’s rejoice and be glad today.”  (Psalm 118:25 God’s Word ©)  Okay… I’m there, how about you?

Stay in tune to His word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.