Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Personal Reflections

There was another positive outcome from the extra prayer time that I put in a couple of days ago.  Just before I turned the lights out on Sunday night, I got up to get a drink of water.  As I stood looking at the reflection of myself in the upstairs vanity mirror, I asked the Lord what was going on.  Our current set of circumstances are not at all like what I had envisioned for this time in our lives.  Instead of being in the midst of the fulfillment of our biggest dream, cumulating the climax of our life long preparations, we find ourselves fighting a battle that seemingly came out of left field!

As I looked in the mirror I inquired of the Lord as to the “whys,” “how’s” and the “what’s next” questions.  Almost instantly I received the peaceful answer coming up from my spirit saying “you’re in the final stages of preparation.”  As I seemingly looked past the mirror into what I can only explain as the spirit realm, I saw the events of my life flash by from High School graduation on.  What I realized is that I have been involved in almost continuous Christian ministry leadership since the spring of 1971!  Right after graduation my wife (my girlfriend at the time) and I assumed leadership over the College Career group at the church we were attending.  From there I went on staff as the Youth Minister, followed by positions as Assistant Pastor at various churches through the years.  What I believe the Lord was trying to show me was that in all the years that I had spent ministering and helping others to fulfill their visions, that I had never had or taken the time to really solidify my own personal understanding of the Word.

Over the last two years I have found myself questioning and/or investigating many of the beliefs that I have stood on for over 40 years, as my wife and I have gone through the journey of this attack on her mind.  And while the vast majority of my beliefs have stood the test of the trial, some I have come to see from a different perspective.  This new perspective has added new strength, a new zeal and an added firmness to the foundation of my calling to minister to others from a Pastoral point of effort.

Suddenly finding myself back home with the kids all gone, my wife’s health under attack with the added dimension of being paid by the state to stay home as her 24 hour caregiver and with my long term ministerial aspirations put on hold has afforded me the opportunity to pursue the in-depth study and understanding of all I that I have learned through actual experience in the field and academic studies in the countless classes and seminars I have attended over the years and in Bible School.

Times of reflection are important to all of us.  They are instrumental in fortifying us with firm foundations of faith that under gird us during the upheavals that occur in life.  These foundations are what make us who we are and are the library from which we draw information as we live and minister to others.  This is the personal foundation that the heroes of the faith in Hebrews eleven as well as many of the mighty men and women of God who have participated in the various great revivals of recent history hung on to when times got tough.

When was the last time you sat in personal reflection?  Don’t make the same mistake I did by getting so involved in all the pressures and activities of life that you never fully develop your own personal structure of faith.  While it may be easier to simply absorb everybody else’s understandings of the faith (that are derived through their own set of life’s experiences), you will actually do yourself and those to whom you minister a favor by taking the time to firmly establish your own unmovable footing.

Abraham had no-thing and no one that he could depend on when doubt and unbelief attacked his faith.  He just developed his own unmovable foundation that brought him to the point where it is written about him that “when there was nothing left to hope for, Abraham was able to hope and believe” because he was “absolutely confident that God would do as he promised.”  (Hebrews 4:18 and 21 God’s Word ©)

Do you have that personal foundation to do the same?  If not, then times of personal reflection may be necessary!  Have a good Tuesday, tune into His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.