Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, March 12, 2012

Lights! Camera! ACTION!

Today was one of those days that I did not want to get out of bed.  With the recent time change it was darker than normal as I peered through the room to focus on the clock that read 7:00 AM.  Then as I glanced up and out the large window in our stairwell, I observed that we were also completely enveloped in a rather thick cloud of fog!  That combination made the decision to get up and to the study rather difficult!  But in the end, my desire to spend time in the Word won out and I slung on my shirt and headed down the stairs to get the coffee brewing!

When I finally settled into my chair with my hot blend of medium roast Hawaiian Hazelnut coffee, I realized that for the first time in a while, I did not have a morning headache! I actually felt fairly sharp and alert.  So, with a quick praise and thanksgiving, I hunkered down and opened up my favorite Bible translation to the book of I Peter and began to study.  After reading the first few paragraphs that introduced the subject of the new birth, I sat in awe as I read verse 13 that said: “Therefore, your minds must be clear and ready for action.  Place your confidence (or better translated your EXPECTATIONS) completely in what God’s kindness (or grace) will bring you…”  (Gods Word ©)

It was as if the Lord was trying to make a point through His word and the way I felt this morning!  He was showing me not only how good it feels, but also the importance of keeping your mind clear of distractions and ready for any actions that arise.  As I meditated on this truth, I quickly recalled an example of staying sharp, keeping your mind alert, and being ready for action. 

For many years our church had hosted a weekend men’s retreat at a Christian camp in the hills not too far from our town.  Various groups of men from fellowships within our church’s affiliation came from around the Bay Area, and the Central Valley.  It was always a wonderful time of spiritual growth, fellowship, great praise and worship and a time to renew old acquaintances.  During the night on one of the retreats, I was asleep in my cabin where I was bunked with my older son and about eight or so other men and their sons. Suddenly I awoke and looked across the room to observe one of the junior high boys stand up in his top bunk, take a step into the air and fall right on to the floor with quite a thud!  Everyone jumped awake at once and ran to his side.  I quickly began to check him out to make sure he was okay when I noticed that he was still sound asleep!  He slowly aroused himself with all the clamor around him and couldn’t figure out what all the fuss was about.  Everyone seemed to be talking at once when another Pastor in the room shouted out that we needed to get a doctor right away.  I’m not totally sure what caused it, but something immediately rose up inside me and before I knew it I heard myself purposely declaring to the group, “No we don’t!  We need to pray.”

All the men and boys in the room agreed and we gathered around the young man on the floor and prayed for his recovery.  With all that said and done, we slowly retired back to our bunks for the rest of the night.  In the morning the boy was fine and enjoyed himself going around the camp telling everyone about what he considered to be a hilarious adventure!

When the test came I found myself responding without really thinking about it in a clear and alert manner to God’s purpose for the situation.  I think that is exactly what Peter was referring to when he wrote that we need to keep our minds “clear and ready for action.” We can allow our lives to be filled with constant distractions and diversions, or we can stay focused on His word and have clear direction for the situations that we are involved with.  How and why do we do this?  Well, Peter answered those questions a few verses later when he said that our “confidence (or EXPECTATIONS) are in God.” (I Peter 1:21 Gods Word ©)

As I look out the window in my study right now, I see that the thick layer of fog has cleared and that I can look in depth at the beauty of nature that surrounds our home.  And that’s the same kind of clear vision that the Lord wants each of you to have.  Think about it…  Make your decision, enjoy the view and be confident to take the right actions at the right time!  Have a great day.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… What am I expecting today?”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.