Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, December 30, 2011

He Is!

This morning as I was reading in Hebrews 3:5-6, two statements jumped out at me:  “Moses was…” and “Jesus is…”  Verse five says that “Moses was a faithful servant in God’s household,” while the next verse counters with, “But Jesus is a faithful son in charge of God’s household.”  (Gods Word ©)  Moses was a mighty man of God, a patriarch that we hold in high esteem, a man that God spoke to as a personal friend (Exodus 33:11), an historical hero of the faith who led the children of Israel out of slavery to the door of the promised land.  But he was still a man who was…  Jesus is the one “which is, and which was, and which is to come…”  (Revelation1:8 KJV)

As I pondered that statement, I traveled back in my mind to the early 1970’s to a time when my wife (my girlfriend at the time!) and I had started a college-career group at the Baptist church my wife was born and raised in, and I had begun attending since being captivated my that spunky young women who sat behind me in my high school English class.  As a group, we had taken the name that my wife had suggested, and called ourselves “Faith Action!”  (it’s kinda funny… over the years my wife has come up with the names for many of the groups, pets, projests and churches – including where we attend now!)

At that time Christian “Rock Operas” were the new and “in thing.”  The Broadway play “Jesus Christ Superstar” had taken the nation by storm and other similar productions were beginning to crop up.  One day as I was sitting in the back seat of my parents 1965 Chevelle station wagon, as we were coming home from a short trip, I suddenly had the inspiration to write.  So I grabbed the college notebook I had sitting next to me and began to pen furiously!  What arose from that conglomeration of storyline, notes and music became our own rock opera which I had entitled “Jesus is Now!”

While I did not compose all the songs, I did write the entire story, play directions, individual character lines and the title song.  It was a big but fun undertaking and involved our entire Faith Action group as well as members from the church’s youth group.  My wife led the band and played the organ as well as the piano in the dozen or so songs that were contained within the play.  I directed (with some assistance from my mother-in-law for the singing parts) as well as played the electric guitar in the opening song and sang a couple of duets with my wife.

The production was actually quite a local success when you consider that we were barely in our twenties and had never attempted anything of this magnitude before!  We had advertising in the local paper and even received a note of encouragement from then President Nixon… one of the cast members had sent a note to the White House and they actually responded!!!  The auditorium which easily seated over 300 was filled for the two performances and we had a couple dozen people come forward for salvation at the altar call at the end of each showing.

The title and purpose of that production back in 1972 or 73 that declared that “Jesus Is (relevant) Now!” is what the writer of Hebrews was stating when he declared that “Christ is…!”  Moses did many great and wondrous acts in his time, but he is with us no more.  Jesus did many great, supernatural and wondrous acts on this earth many years ago, and yes He died, but then He rose again from the dead!  He “IS” alive and with us as well as for us today!   His reign will never end.  His love for us, as well as His strength and wisdom given to us will also never end!  The promises He makes to each of us in His Word are just as true and vibrant as they were when they were penned by the writers of the Bible thousands of years ago.

The “Rock Opera” that I penned and we performed some 38 years ago is long gone and forgotten about.  It was wonderful when it was, but it’s time is long gone.  The one thing about it though, that is still very much current and active is the point that we tried to express to those who attended, being that Jesus “IS” for everyone today, tomorrow and forever!  He is the everlasting Savor to all who will reach out and receive Him, at anytime, in any place.

If you are reading this today and have not received The Savor of your soul and of your life into your heart, then this can be your day of salvation!  Simply say, “Jesus I confess that TODAY you are my Lord, and I believe in my heart that God raised you from the dead.  Lord, Jesus, come into my heart!” Then begin to thank and praise Him!  I am sure that you’ll sense His presence almost immediately.*

If you already have that new abundance of life flowing in you, then find someone today and continually throughout this New Year, who you can share this with and be like the angel in that little town of Bethlehem when he announced “Today your savior, Christ the Lord was (or can be) born (in you!)”  (Luke 2:11 Gods Word ©) Have a great, safe, blessed and happy New Years!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting in this NEW YEAR?”


* PS:  If you made that declaration of faith today, please email me at pastorjim@whatareyouexpecting.org so that I can share your new found joy with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.