Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, December 5, 2011

Changing Times

Early this morning I was walking through the picturesque walkways that meander throughout our cluster homes.  I don’t get too many opportunities to go out early in the mornings anymore, so a trip to the garbage bins made for the perfect excuse to enjoy the morning solitude.  As I returned to our home I let my eyes wander up, down and around the landscape.  The freshly mowed lawns, green shrubs, crisp cool air as well as the few multicolored leaves that still clung to the trees all added to the beauty of the moment. It got me to thinking that change is definitely in the air, and the experience helped me to get a perspective on some of the thoughts and emotions that I was dealing with yesterday.

To best sum it up, I think I was just feeling a little bit lonely on Sunday afternoon and evening. It’s not like I wanted more company, I just wanted to be able to connect again in that special way that my wife and I have always shared.  If I had to describe my wife with only one word I would have to say that she has always been “spunky!”  The dictionary defines that word simply as “spirited” and that would fit her to a tee.  She has always had the type of personality that would light up a room when she came in.  When I think of her I think of her laughter, her bright shiny brown eyes, her smile and quick wit.  She may not be the most organized individual in the world, but she has always enjoyed a challenge, likes to think on the run, is comfortable in just about any setting, unflappable in chaotic situations (that’s probably why we’ve never stopped working with kids and youth!), but yet sensitive when needed and always available with just the right words of comfort when difficulties arise. 

From the first day we met, we could talk for hours on end!  And that’s probably the hardest thing for me to deal with right now!  Everything I’ve researched and the various caregiver assistance people I have spoken to talk about the need to get away from the situation, at times, to be alone or with others.  I guess I kind of feel like I’m by myself a lot now, and while I enjoy being with others I really enjoy most to be with her, like I have for over 41 years now!  The unique intimacy of our communication together is what is currently missing in action!

The quiet, undisturbed walk this morning combined with my study time in the Word gave me the courage I needed today to go on.  An opening glance at Hebrews 12:1 reminded me “to run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up.”  (Gods Word ©) Then as I closed my morning time with the Lord I studied Psalm 27:14.  When I combined the Gods Word translation with the Jamieson, Fausset and Brown commentary on this verse the Lord showed me the importance of waiting “in confident expectation for the Lord.”  To “be strong and let your heart be courageous.  Yes, wait in confident expectation for the Lord.”  The term “in confident expectation” specifically meaning to be “expecting new measures of help.”

As I looked at the changing view of nature all around me early today I understood what was necessary for the new growth of green branches, leaves and the eventual fruit on the vine to appear again next spring and summer.  The old things of the past have to dry up and drop away before the new can emerge. It would seem pretty obvious that I am going through a time of change.  The Word of God assures me though, that my wife (and myself as well) will emerge again in His spring season of time renewed, strengthened and fortified to move on in His divine vision and plan for our lives.

In this current time we must keep our focus on Him, our expectations high, and our confidence undaunted!  The seasons in this life are always changing.  Fall turns into winter but Winter always turns into a glorious Spring filled with a new birth of blooming growth with the promise of the bright, long and warm Summer days to come.

Keep that in mind if you are currently going through some difficult changing times.  Stay focused and never give up.  Keep your confident expectation of the Lord’s new measures of help forever in view.  Never let go of those thoughts of a warm summer day at the beach, or sitting under the shade of a towering Redwood or Pine tree, or that first cool dive into a pool, river or lake or….  Remember, the good times are just around the corner!  Have a great week.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What Good Things am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.